Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Choice For Rifle............

hangunnr

..........targets.

What type of steel should be used for rifle level loads? I've used T-1 for pistol targets for years but the 3/8th thick stuff I currently have won't stand up to heavy rifle loads. Would a thicker plate be the answer or is there a better choice out there?

hangunnr

AR-500 is the only thing that will take it. Even with that, shooting it at under 40 yards with 223 can crater it. Unless you can get some AR 500 for free, it's generally cheaper to buy finished targets.

I'd just head to www.mgmtargets.com take a look at some Colt speed plates.

AR-500 is the only thing that will take it.

And now for some unsolicited information; AR stands for “Abrasion Resistant”, the 500 means 500 Brinell and Brinell is another hardness scale like the more common Rockwell “C” scale. 500 Brinell is about 51 Rockwell C.

Ed

the AR500/400 steels are hard you should not use a torch to cut them. Welding also screws up the hardness. Should cut with water/abrasive or at least a plasma cutter. If you going weld, control heat and make the weld at area where they won't get hit. They will still eventual crack.

Best design for IPSC is the leaning plate design, look in the appendix of the rifle rules and it has some targets sizes and stands.