Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 Major Open Racer

joaquino

Hi folks,

Does someone of you have some experience with 38SuperAuto open gun which was converted to 9x19 Major? What have to be done to make it run without trouble? Is possible to make it run or is it better to buy one which was born as a 9x19 Major? Or if there are some problems are both affected?

Guess I could ask some more but lets start with that.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris, I converted my super to 9. But I had to replace the slide as well. Only because, who ever built my gun originally did not fit it correctlly.

So I figured if I had to rebuild, I might as well go 9 major. I have had one problem since the rebuild, and that was bad ejection angle. been fixed since.

Other than that Zero problems.

Caspian Wide Body

Scheumman AET commander barrel

Caspian 5" slide cut to length

STI S-2 comp

and all the other goodies

8.4 HS-6 124gr Zero bullet, Gave me 177pf at Area 7. Note: Did not mean to go that high, but it was real hot that day.

Greetings Chris! Looks like you are shooting 9Major in IPSC, where the power factor for Major will be only 160 (this is good). In USPSA, our Major power factor floor is 165.

Your Q. was: "Is possible to make it run" - the answer is: Yes. You did not specify which brand Open gun you are shooting but I suspect it is either an SPS 2011 or an imported STI/SV. If this is the case, then you will want to obtain SV brand magazine tubes for use with Major9; these seem to work unmodified w/ 9x19mm. If you use STI mags, you may need shims at the rear of the mag.

Other than mags, you will just need a barrel and possible a new/re-tuned extractor plus a gunsmith experienced with 2011/SPS guns.

NOTE: If your gunsmith claims that 9 Major will not work in a 2011, then he is likely saying "I don't know how to make 9x19mm work in a 2011". You should find another gunsmith. At last year's USPSA Nationals, a few people in the top 20 used 9x19mm; they would tend to prove that reliable 9x19mmMajor in an STI/SV/SPS IS possible.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Well, right now I just play in standard (Briley STI Limited Master .40S&W) and modified (SPS Modified .40S&W) but I'm playing with the thought to gamble in the open section as well. The point is that I'm not sure if I really would like it, so the idea is because over hear right now you can get some open blasters in .38Super for a very small amount, mostly PO based guns. the question is if I go for a used one in good condition .38super and maybe if I like to stay in open convert it to 9x19 or go direct with a new in 9x19 build blaster...

Hope I'll get to a decision after some more inputs.

Cheers

Chris

I converted a .38 super to a 9mm. Replaced the barrel and bought spacers for the STI mags. Carlos suggests SV mags, but some people still use spacers with them. My 140mm SV in .38S works fine for the 9mm without spacers. My STI mags work good with spacers. Don't know about SPS mags.

In theory, that might be all you need to do -- replace the barrel and add spacers to STI mags. If you're lucky, that's it. OTOH, you may need to tweak or purchase a new ejector and possibily a new extractor. One thing to be especially careful about is the bullet OAL if you're using spacers. Loaded out too long, they jam in the mag.

I recently did the changeover from 38 Super to 9 Major in my PO Open gun. The only required part was the new STI Trubore S2 that was fitted. The extractor in the gun was tuned a bit for the 9mm.

I also changed the trigger to one of the STI/PO triggers as it seemed to fit my reach and grip the best. But that had nothing to do with getting the gun to run better. Just getting ME to run better.

I already have a Para Ord P18-9mm so I had a supply of hicap 9mm mags. I had factory Para 38 Super mags too but are not reliable with 9mm. They were 100% with 38 Supers. The 9mm Para mags run with either 9mm or 38 Super.

So right now I can shoot Major 9 and even light steel loads from the same gun by just changing the recoil spring. If I want to go back to shooting 38 Super, I just swap the barrel back in.

With the 9mm, it is simpler to load for as I don't have to Case Pro the 38 Super cases. Plus I have a free supply of once fired 9mm brass from the Police range so I don't even bother picking up brass anymore.