Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight/Target Focus Question

zjhagens

Okay, so I am a noob when it comes to competitive shooting.

I have noticed that in matches I rarely see my sights.  my focus is on the target, as is common under stress.

My question is: What do you focus on, front sight or target? If front sight, do you have any tips on how to overcome the draw to the target? My goal of course is to increase the A zone hits.

Additional details: I also tend to shoot both eyes open when under stress. I know this can be a good thing, but not the way I do it! I am cross-eye dominant and I find my eyes get easily "confused" when trying to find the front sight.

Any tips on what methods others use, or tips for improvement are appreciated!

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. When you draw you should be looking at the target UNTIL the firearm enters your field of vision THEN you shift focus to your sights closing in on that front sight.

For targets 7 yards and in, you can point shoot at the A zone as long as you see the front sight in the A zone.

For shots farther than 7 yards, you have to focus on the front sight and keep a nice even trigger pace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's a range of different sight pictures:

At zero to a few yards, close and dirty? Look at the target in the center of the A-zone and place the three blurry black bumps in front of it. Work the trigger fast and grip the gun as hard as you can.

At 7 yards I want to see the fiber glowing very close to the center of the notch still rather blurry in front of my target

For an 8 inch steel plate at 20+ yards? Equal height equal light, roll the trigger back smoothly with the front post in razor sharps focus. Ignore the fiber and focus on the corners of the sights.

See everything YOU personally need to see to make the shot, but don't waste time seeing more than you need to either.

Also, apply a bit of chap stick to your weak side dominant eye on your glasses next time. Smear it around to slightly haze over the lens in the spot you look through while shooting. It's a huge help for me as a cross-dominant shooter to shoot both eyes open at speed.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Welcome to the game. As stated above, you will need to see different things depending on how hard the shot is. Not many shortcuts. You will need to practice different distances on the clock to see how much you nee to see and how long that takes.

Your eyes seeing what they need to see at every distance should drive your pace. You should be able to shoot 90-95% of the available points so use that as your goal.

I used to use tape. With a dot of chapstick spread around very lightly, you can see more clearly than with scotch tape. Use just enough to blur things slightly, and it's the same as squinting that eye.

It isn't nearly as annoying when you are pasting and scoring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic