Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pint-sized Shotgunner

ErikW

I feel for that kid.  That just makes you want to pick that gun up and try that again - NOT!

Oh, I'm not so sure. Remember, that was his SECOND shot! He didn't seem fazed by it at all...just wanted to see if he hit anything!

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My dad had a T/C Contender in .44mag with a 4x scope on it. I was around 10 years old and he would hold the fore-end and rest it on a sandbag while I pulled the trigger...no problem. I'd been shooting for about 5 years from .22s up to 9x19 and .45acp without a problem...just keep your elbows locked and let the gun climb. So, he goes one stall over to give a family friend some pointers figuring I can handle the Contender on my own. So, I loaded it up, cocked the hammer, set the crosshairs on the bull some 25 yards away, *bent my elbows* and pulled the trigger.

The gun came back and the top rear of the scope nailed me in the forehead. I hollered and dropped the gun (put a nice dent in the scope too). Dad freaked out and jumped over to see what happened.

End result, I got the absolute biggest goose egg I've ever had on my forehead, was a little shy about shooting .44mag for a few years and became a very big fan of the isosceles stance; no way I was going to quit shooting though! IIRC, the shot was a 9 at 5 o'clock.

That kid has definitely got the spirit.

If that were me, I'd buy the kid something along the lines of a .410. No need to make him a lifetime flincher from getting knocked down at every shot.

Still...I love the way the kid jumps right back up to see what happened.