Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I recently got a 650 and have it all set up. I am definately having more issues than I ever had with my 550, but from what I hear most do. Anyway here is my problem. About every 10-15 rounds, I get a crushed case at the seating die. the bullet is crushing a portion of the casing. I am also getting half moon shavings of bullet. I believe I am belling enough, and the bullet is on the casing straight. If I use more bell I get bullet setback. I am loading Zero 230 Gr FMJ, and assorted brass. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Ha! I know this one...

I'll just bet that if you take a look through your brass, you'll find some where the rim of the case has a burr where it's peened over. It will look very similar to an un-deburred rifle case rim. This comes from tumbling the cases too long in a rotary tumbler, until the case rims pound themselves over. You probably didn't do this, but the commercial processing place did. I, of course, peened over a couple thousand cases in the Brass Weasel® 9000 by letting it run over night. Oops...

Unless you have a LOT of cases that are peened over, it's best to just sort and chuck them. You can trim the burrs out, but it's going to take forever if it's more than just a few, and if it's just a few, it's not worth your time.

You *cannot* bell your way out of burred cases. Take it from someone who's tried.

I will try and increase the bell and find the right crimp and see what happens.

Eric W. Your solution sounds possible, however, I have never had this problem with the 550, if the case mouths were burred/peened from tumbling, wouldn't the same thing happen with that machine as well?

Eric W.  Your solution sounds possible, however, I have never had this problem with the 550, if the case mouths were burred/peened from tumbling, wouldn't the same thing happen with that machine as well?

Well, I just re-read your first post. If more belling causes setback, I would be suspicious of the OD of your powder funnel. Is it the same powder funnel you used on the 550?

Otherwise, the jacket shaving is the dead giveway. If it's the cases, you won't be able to bell your way out of the problem since the bell gets removed in the seating die whether you like it or not. The trick is to look through your brass, find one with a peened-over mouth, then load it. I just went through this recently, and sorting that damaged brass out was the solution.

FWIW....which may be very little...