Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II Failure to Eject - Brass???

akeefer

Hey all you Tanfoglio experts!

So, I bought a 2015 Stock II locally. The original owner described having a few FTE issues but had ordered a bunch of Wolff springs to try to fix it. He switched to a 9lbs and added the XP extractor spring. Still had some issues with FTE. Ordered in a 6 and 7lbs spring. That's when I bought it. 

So, I forgot about this and took it to a steel match today. This was my first chance to fire it. It was also cleaned prior to shooting. Anyway, I managed a FTE every 5-7 rounds. I switched from 6lbs-12lbs and everything in between. Nothing seemed to help. Sometimes you'd get 7 rounds, somethings only 2 between failures. 

The fired brass wasn't totally pushed in, but loosely in the chamber. I had to lock back the slide, drop the mag with the top round attempting to feed, drop the slide and then it would eject on pulling the slide back. I looked a lot on my phone and saw some people having issues with their extractors. Possibly a burr or just to polished enough to be reliable. At first thought that this was the problem.

Then, on the last stage of the match, I ran out of the brand new 115gr Blazer Brass I was shooting today. I then shot with 115gr Blazer steel cased. Those ejected 100%. So! Is it just the Blazer brass??? Should I still pull the extractor and just polish? I want to make sure this one is figured out by next month's match, so wanted to get your thoughts! I didn't think Blazer Brass was that bad, but if it's something special, I can avoid it. I do want to switch to my reloads by next month anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Blazer brass, and Winchester White box (reportedly the same thing) are the ONLY ammos I have ever used that had trouble with failures to extract.

The extra power spring (and new extractor) fixed my issues.
Try virtually any other ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/2/2017 at 3:49 PM, akeefer said:

The fired brass wasn't totally pushed in, but loosely in the chamber.

I am not sure what you are describing. Fired brass in the chamber would be a failure to extract, fired brass that cleared the chamber but didn't make it out of the ejection port is failure to eject, which one is it?

I've had a bunch of ejection failures through both of my Stock 2 with different ammo but mostly American Federal Eagle 115 gr, because it is what I shoot the most. Other ammo too. It can be attributed to extractor issues but when a brass is extracted but remains  coaxial with chamber, it generally indicates no contact with ejector. This is what has happened with mine. I am lucky to have an excellent gunsmith as a friend and he reprofiled both ejectors for me. One gun required a slight slide modification as well. Fouling seems to be a contributor although I can't explain how. The jury is still out how much it helped; each gun went about 500 rounds without issues since this was done, including a recent A1 match. I've come close to getting rid of these twice but I'll give them another chance till A3.

Edited by YVK