Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer mag spring for MPX

I just tried Springer's "PCC 9mm Extra Power Magazine Spring" with their base pad, and it just does not work.  Spring and basepad with just 10 rounds loaded, rounds jam nose up, and bolt does not lock back on empty - this alone tells me the spring is too weak. I tried loading the mag with different number of rounds, results same.  I sent a note to Springer about this.

Anyone else have similar issue?  The stock spring runs fine with the Springer base pad (+10), but sometimes gets a little weak and doesnt lock the bolt back on empty. 

5 hours ago, Posvar said:

Interesting. My buddy and I just ordered a bunch of these springs with the Base pads but have not installed yet. 

I just got an email from Springer, and they were very apologetic and were going to send a replacement.

Moments laterI got another email from them:

I'm doing a little more looking into the newest batch of springs we got and they appear to be a little different than the last couple batches which worked great.  I'm holding off on sending you a replacement for right now while we figure this out, sorry for the inconvenience Greg!  Your MPX factory spring should work for reliable feeding, you just may not get a bolt-lock after last shot fired.

I will post back what they find.  I did notice the wire diameter of the Springer spring was smaller than the OEM spring, but that may not mean much. 

Latest response from Springer:

Ok, so the entire batch that we got is quite a few inches shorter than the previous batch, which worked flawlessly.  I'm pulling them from our website until we can get it sorted out.  In the meantime, our owner has one of the proper length that I'm gonna run over and pick up right now and then ship that out to you so you have a replacement. 

Again, if you ever need to, you can absolutely run them with your factory springs, it just may not go into bolt-lock open after last shot 100% of the time. 

Hopefully the replacement they send will be a good one.

Awesome customer service. 

Got the replacement spring, and it is about 2" longer. Cycling rounds st the bench it seems to work well. 

I did notice that it seemed to loch the bolt back better if the spring was pointing to the rear. Makes sense as the follower rear is what catches the bolt release. 

Still seems a little odd. Will have to test at range both ways. 

2 hours ago, chopinlover said:

It seems the springs are gone on their website since last week, so this post is the ultimate reason? lol

I was planning to get 2 springs...

My post is not the reason, the reason is they got a bad batch of springs and pulled them so no one else would get one. Like I did. You are welcome. I expect they will have them avail soon. 

3 hours ago, GregJ said:

My post is not the reason, the reason is they got a bad batch of springs and pulled them so no one else would get one. Like I did. You are welcome. I expect they will have them avail soon. 

Thanks for the info! Then I will wait for it to be available again