Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 Minutes......?.......

Still getting acquainted with my newly inherited 650.

Had set up toolheads and succesfully operated 650 in:

9mm - 38 Spl - 357Mag - .40S&W

Changeover got easier & QUICKER with familiarity

Not quite 10 min but reasonable

Tackled .45 acp

Came head to head with the Primer system.

I'd like to watch someone do a .357Mag to .45acp changeover in 10 Minutes.

To Marvel-Admire and learn how it is supposedly done.

It took ME most of the morning.

(Admittedly- after acomplishing it the 650 churned out beautiful rounds in quick time)

I couldn't figure out how to get to the primer punch without partially dismanteling the press. At the very least removing the primer "Ski Jump".

When I got to it, I couldn't get my 9/16 wrench on it. I finally got it off with a 19/32" that I had lying around (Dosen't everyone???).

The 19/32 was big, but it worked. I believe that the nut IS supposed to be 9/16 like the manual says; but the finish on the nut is rough and try as I might, I couldn't get my 9/16 over it.

Changing the priming disk on the priming unit; from small to large is the very LEAST of the job.

(Buying an alternate Primer unit for large/vs/small hardly seems worth the $)

I found that adjusting the:

Station 1 "Case Pusher into shellplate".......and

Station 2 Positioning retainer

according to the book...gave me marginal reliability results

I found that I achieved more reliable operation adjusting both... to push and hold respectively, with full contact and pressure.

Since they are both "spring" tensioned, this seemed to present little problems, and the associated increase drag was not significant to be noticeable.

It's an "adventure".

It gets easier and quicker each time you do it

You will make less and less screw ups and know just what and how to adjust it to make it do what you want it to do

Time wise in a while you will see it go together without a hitch and fast

Rick T 10yr 650 owner

One of the things overlooked in caliber conversions on a 650 is changing the case feeder setup. you may have to go to a large plate for .45 or put in the little guide thing for 9mm neither of which is a drop in piece plus changing the guide at the bottom of the the feed tube.

Even if it takes 15-20 minutes or longer, you still can't beat the 650. IMHO.

except with a 1050....

FWIW

dj

I've never been able to do it in 10 min. You might come close if you're in the same class of case and don't have much to change. Still wouldn't trade it for anything.

This one takes me just a little over an hour.

9MM to 25WSSM Requires the following:

Case feed plate

Case feed funnel - the piece with the switch

Case feed tube - mag is bigger

Beer

Case feed body - complete metal assy

Reverse case insert slide

Case feed plate and #1 locator

Beer

!#$#@$%^%& primer punch

Beer, Beer

Primer feed plate

Primer feed tube

locator buttons

Tool Head Assy - Hopefully already setup

:wacko:

I ground the sides off of a 9/16 open end wrench to give it a little more clearance. Also if you hold the wrench end down about 45 degrees from straight it will give you more room. Be careful of the shell plate index ring spring which is right behind the punch. I've messed up a couple of them by hitting them with the wrench. Changing it is even worse. The only thing I ever have to remove is the spent primer cup. The threads on mine leave a lot to be desired too.

I'd pay admission to see someone change a 650 primer punch with a Dillon Bench Wrench :P

calhunter,

I'm in the same boat...about an hour. When I get into trouble, it's because I take a run at it (conversion) from memory.

I keep the manual handy and just follow the steps...many of them I can skip because I have quuick-change(s) and many times I only switch from .38 to .357 or from .44 Spcl. to .44 Mag.

I too have messed up that spring...took me a while to figure out what the heck I did! I also had to file on my box-end.

AND, I'll get in line with you to watch that primer punch change-over with the "bench wrench".

I love this press. It's not as fast as Dillon states, but I'm OK with that. I'm slow on purpose.

Bob