Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Reload Or Not?

glock17w

Right now I am setting my budget to do a lot of things when I get back to the states. Everything from going on a 7 day cruise, buying a $1000 Rottweiler, Going to pistol training with Frank Garcia, and getting ready to jump back into shooting hot and heavy. I have hit a dilemma. I shoot a Glock 17 for IDPA and want to shoot more in USPSA when I get back. USPSA is my focus. IDPA will be secondary.

I normally shoot CCI Blazer 9mm or Winchester White Box. I can get CCI Blazer from Academy Sporting Goods for $3.86 a box of 50. The Winchester costed $11.00 for a box of 100 from Walmart. Cheap ammo that functions very well in my Glock. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to reload over having to worry about buying ammo whenever I wanted to go practice or shoot a match.

I will be shooting my Glock 17 for a while until I get accustomed to USPSA. I want to venture into limited eventually but not right away.

If I buy a Dillion Square Deal Reloader and will be able to crank out lot of ammo, would it come out to be cheaper in the long run or should I just continue to shoot CCI Blazer?

I think the CCI Blazer is at 132 PF. I am not sure what the Winchester White Box is.

I appreciate your opinions and advice. Thanks.

Glock17w

I reload .40, a lot of it, but I buy the 9mm. It is really inexpensive compared to other cartridges, and it would take cheap components and free brass to make it worth your time to reload it IMO.

If you want to load for other cartridges as well as 9 you might think about the reloader but if it is just for the nine save yourself time and money and just buy as much of that Blazer as you can afford and have a grand time.

Just Chronied Blazer 115 today and it is damn close to 140 for a power factor through my G34. Shot over 5000 rounds of it this year so far and have absolutely no issues with it. Love the stuff and the price is right.

I decided that as long as I can get ammo for $3.86/box of 50, I will just keep buying ammo. I will just budget for 2000 rounds of ammo per month for practice and matches. I did the math. To get started reloading with the press, bullets, primers, powder, and brass, I could buy 5000 rounds of ammo. As long as I am shooting my Glock 17, I will just continue to buy ammo. I can't wait to get back to the states and start shooting again.

Glock 17w

The math: jacketed bullet costs almost 5 cents a round, plus primers and powder, maybe another penny or two. (I'm not counting 9mm brass since it's almost free at most ranges.) You're now up to 6-7 cents a round to reload, excluding brass. Blazers are 8 cents a round. At most you'll save 2 cents a bullet. If you shoot 2,000 rounds a month that's $40.

Reloading equipment costs about $500 or so for a SDB and accessories -- taking over a year to make up the costs. You made a smart decision -- 9mm isn't worth reloading.

Plus -- and this is the biggest plus for me -- you save the headaches of reloading. BTW, I reload.

My thoughts exactly. I used to reload on a single stage press. I reloaded 9mm, 45 ACP, 308 Win, and 7mm Mag. Sometimes it became a pain in the butt. I finally broke down shop and just started buying ammo. Maybe when I started to shoot limited, I will get into reloading.

Right now I am setting my budget to do a lot of things when I get back to the states.  Everything from going on a 7 day cruise, buying a $1000 Rottweiler, Going to pistol training with Frank Garcia, and getting ready to jump back into shooting hot and heavy.  I have hit a dilemma.  I shoot a Glock 17 for IDPA and want to shoot more in USPSA when I get back.  USPSA is my focus.  IDPA will be secondary. 

I normally shoot CCI Blazer 9mm or Winchester White Box.  I can get CCI Blazer from Academy Sporting Goods for $3.86 a box of 50. The Winchester costed $11.00 for a box of 100 from Walmart.  Cheap ammo that functions very well in my Glock.  I was wondering if it would be beneficial to reload over having to worry about buying ammo whenever I wanted to go practice or shoot a match. 

I will be shooting my Glock 17 for a while until I get accustomed to USPSA.  I want to venture into limited eventually but not right away. 

If I buy a Dillion Square Deal Reloader and will be able to crank out lot of ammo, would it come out to be cheaper in the long run or should I just continue to shoot CCI Blazer?

I think the CCI Blazer is at 132 PF.  I am not sure what the Winchester White Box is. 

I appreciate your opinions and advice.  Thanks.

Glock17w

The cheapest 9mm I can find is Wal-Mart at about $12.00 a box with tax. I can reload my own custom 9mm for IPSC & IDPA for less than half that using 147 grain JHP.

Academy Sports seems to be the outlest for the cheap Blazer ammo. I don't have one local to check.

oct_97, where are you getting your bullets? I'm using bulk Winchester 115 JHPs at about $.055 including shipping and figuring another $.02 -$.025 for powder and primers. If you're loading 147s at around $.06 each, I must be shopping in the wrong place. :mellow:

John

Oct 97, can you break down your component costs including shipping and tax if it applies?

Bullet cost delivered____________

Primmer cost delivered__________

Powder cost delivered___________

brass cost delivered_____________

We won't go into the cost of the equipment it take to assembly ammunition, but the original poster has to buy that too. I have all of the equipment and still find it cheaper to buy it.

By the way the Blazer ammo makes 140 Power Factor out of my G34.

Rick

shoot 147 grain bullets and its worth reloading...

berrys, or precision delta make cheap enough bullets.

titegroup works great, so does WW231.

if you dont have a glock, master blaster bullets are nice too!

BTW, blazer has been unreliable in my gun(last round fired ejection issues)

so for me, if i were not to reload, i would shoot winchester white box or the brass blazer...or wolf.. all come in at 10-11 a hundred.

i load them for about 7

on another completely different note, i enjoy reloading..it relaxes me :huh:

shoot 147 grain bullets and its worth reloading...

berrys, or precision delta make cheap enough bullets.

titegroup works great, so does WW231.

if you dont have a glock, master blaster bullets are nice too!

BTW, blazer has been unreliable in my gun(last round fired ejection issues)

so for me, if i were not to reload, i would shoot winchester white box or the brass blazer...or wolf.. all come in at 10-11 a hundred.

i load them for about 7

on another completely different note, i enjoy reloading..it relaxes me :huh:

Yup - this is the issue -

I agree with the math. If you are satisfied with shooting Blazer at 140pf and getting what I think is more recoil because of the lighter bullet [insert heavy bullet produces less recoil than a lighter bullet at a given pf discussion here], then rock on.

If I were shooting, and therefore only reloading, 9mm, I would probably do exactly this - shoot Blazer or white box. Since I shoot and load other calibers, and I like 147gn pills, the small additional expense of dies makes it very worthwhile to reload.

Don't shoot wolf - just way too many problems in volume (extractor problems because of steel case, variation in velocity, dirty, squibs).

Harmon - I shoot MBs from a Glock (34 & 17) by the 100s - no problems. Can't use titegroup (I have several threads about this...) - I use HS-6.

I know that some don't like the 140 pf out of a 9 that the Blazer produce in a G34 length barrel and you can save a few pennies reloading.

Before this handgun stuff I pulled the handle on a Mec 9000 G over 10,000 rounds in a single season. It wasn't fun for me anymore. I was rushing to reload just before matches an leagues and it just became ugly. I would also loose focus on the shooting. I use to enjoy reloading and will load hunting loads in various calibers. If I ever start to shoot limited or limited 10 with a 40 then the press will get dusted off. Just for now this is a personal decision for me that I feel comfortable with given my past experiences and available time etc.

Isn't it cool that we live in the good ole' US OF A where you can do what you want and I can do what seems to make the most sense to me.

I do get tempted by the mouse fart loads every once in a while. Ran a couple of clips of my buddies 147 through my G34 and they were sweet, then I remember all of the work and order some more ammo. Like I said this is what works for me.

I have a brother in law that is shooting about as much as I do - 1000 rounds a month and is loading everything on a single stage Rockchucker. I think the guy has lost it and he isn't saving himself a dime or doing his family and good playing with that stuff all of the time. If you are going to do it something like a Dillion 650 is the way to go. But look at the time it will take to break even on the machine, scale, dies etc.

Harmongreer, what kind of issues did you have with the Blazer as far as extraction? Did it rip the aluminum rim off of something?

Rick