Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23/9 Supercomp

amateur

Is there a thread discussing loads for 9x23? I already looked but i cant find it. I know some of the forum members are using this caliber too.

The story:

I have a colt combo 9x23/38super and thats what i use for about 3 years. using factory ammo and saving all the brass.

I decided to go another step and now i am into open gun. My eyes are getting old but still want to enjoy the sport. I have an open gun coming next week and of course 9x23. Its an svi, regular lenght slide with 7 ports and c more sight. Ill reload this time and I need a starting load. ive been reading loads for 38super and its variants but there was a thread i read that the load for 9x23 should be less than 38s. By how much? The guy who post didnt say?

Please help!

Is there a thread discussing loads for 9x23? I already looked but i cant find it. I know some of the forum members are using this caliber too.

The story:

I have a colt combo 9x23/38super and thats what i use for about 3 years. using factory ammo and saving all the brass.

I decided to go another step and now i am into open gun. My eyes are getting old but still want to enjoy the sport. I have an open gun coming next week and of course 9x23. Its an svi, regular lenght slide with 7 ports  and c more sight. Ill reload this time and I need a starting load. ive been reading loads for 38super and its variants but there was a thread i read that the load for 9x23 should be less than 38s. By how much? The guy who post didnt say?

Please help!

I'll go check my load data..what powder and bullet weight are you planning on shooting??

5" barrel with comp???

eerw,

thanks for your reply.

I believe it is 5in. bbl. The comp is cone type extending back to almost half the lenght of the bbl. The slide has no lightening cuts

heres what i have:

124gr HAP box says .3555

IMR7625/VVN350 or any other powder info is welcome. I am open to suggestions and to be honest I dont have a preference yet

Win/CP brass and a little bit of 9 supercomp

Fed SRP/SMP

My reloader is D650

#5 dillon 650 shellplate which the guy from Dillon said its also for .223

RCBS Nowlin 9x23 sizer

all other dies are dillon 9's.

amateur

My data is mostly 3n37 with a 115cmj or a 124cmj montana gold bullet..I am using only WIN 9x23 brass..basically found a source of it..and am sticking with it as it is a little thicker than starline..WIN small rifle primers..

for 115CMJ, I am loading about 8.6gr

for 124cmj, I am using 8.2gr.

where did you find CP brass??? that is pretty thick too..be nice to find some to play with..

Herky,

thanks! Ill try and chrono that load. Is the gas enough to make the comp work? This is the first time I am going to use a comp with so many holes. I had experience a long time ago with a friends comped gun but if i remember it right, i think it has only 1 or maybe 2 holes on top.

eerw,

I heard a lot about 3n37. I hope i can find one here in our area and try it too.

My CP brass is from one area match. Its mixed with 9SC and Win 9x23 brass. 100 something pieces.

thanks for sharing your loads.

I don't shoot Open as a rule, but the comp seems to do what it is designed to do. There are plenty of good folks on the forum with much more experience that will answer your questions. Good luck.