Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly-coated Bullets In A Stock Glock Barrel

sasquatch981

I just picked up a G22 and it has the stock barrel in it. I have heard not to shoot lead thorugh Glock barells. However I have seen several shooters at my range use Glocks and MasterBlaster Moly-coats. Now I don't know if they have stock barells or not. My question is, will shooting Moly-coats through a stock barell cause a problem, or be dangerous? Or am I a paranoid?

Matt

I may be in the minority...

Use whatever you want. Just keep it clean and you won't have a problem. I wouldn't shoot a bunch of lead and then switch to jacketed without cleaning.

I shoot lead because of the cost in my 34. Just go for it.

Agreed, shoot whatever you want, just realize that lead and Moly coatings can accumulate over time and increase pressure in a bore, so keep them clean and there will be no problem. If you shoot Moly all the time, you should use an abrasive of some sort to take it down to metal once in a great while.

As far as lead goes, if the lead bullets aren't too tight in the first place (.355 bbl, use .356 diameter lead) and are hard cast not soft crap leading is not usually a serious issue. As long as the bbl grooves don't get filled up, just shoot the sucker for 4-500 at a pass between de-leading operations.

Don't shoot fullbore jacketed ammo in a barrel that is heavily leaded up, that's an overpressure situation for sure. I used to shoot a few jacketed rounds in my Glock after every hundred rounds of lead and it would drive out any excess lead before it built up and make the cleaning easier later ;-)

I prefer jacketed because cleaning lead out is a PITA. I don't find Moly worth any of it's additional cost and effort in either pistol, or rifle usage. JMHO YMMV

--

Regards,

I just picked up a G22 and it has the stock barrel in it.  I have heard not to shoot lead thorugh Glock barells.  However I have seen several shooters at my range use Glocks and MasterBlaster Moly-coats.  Now I don't know if they have stock barells or not.  My question is, will shooting Moly-coats through a stock barell cause a problem, or be dangerous?  Or am I a paranoid?

Matt

Paranoid! :o

I have about 3000 147gn MBs through several Glock 9mms, as well as a few hundred 200gn through a G36 (45ACP). No problems with build-up (lead or coating). Poly-M is a little different than Moly. It has some Teflon in it, which I think makes it behave differently than straight Moly.

Don't use a real fast powder in the 9mm. I use HS-6 or see below.

Check the e-mail traffic between me and Tom of MB:

I sent an e-mail asking Tom if Poly-M's were OK in a Glock. Below is his response...

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 8:31 PM

To: XXXXXXX

Subject: Re:Use of Poly-M in Glocks, 223

XXXXX, I shot a Glock 34 last year in production. And won a number of major matches with our bullet in a polygonyl brl. Including Area 1, SV Infinity challenge, Crazy Croc, Northwest challenge and several others. I think you will find this to be the most accurate bullet available for your glock, it was in mine. DVC Tom

Below is Tom's response to my e-mail about problems with the 147s over titegroup. My problem was keyholeing - bullet traveling sideways. This happened in both a Glock 34 and a Beretta 92. The barrel was filling up with the coating.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 9:34 PM

To: XXXXX

Subject: Re:Glock, Leading, Tumbling

XXX, it's the titegroup. If seen this many times. The powder is too fast in that small a case, it compresses the bullet into the rifling, rips off the coating and it won't even spin.  This is why we really dislike titegroup and bullseye.  If you try a slower powder like Ramshot silhouette, Vit 3n37, or 350 all your problems will clear up. my personal load is 4.3gr silhouette or 3n37 and you won't believe how soft and accurate.   DVC Tom

Tom mentions Silhouette, but it is kinda hard to get here. I ended up with 4.3 gns of HS-6, 127 PF.

Another vote for keeping the barrel clean and free of build-up.

For general practice , I use Billy Bullets and run a brush through the barrel afer 3 or 4 magazines worth in my stock 22 . Not as necessary in the KKM 35.

Afterwards , solvent and a good scrubbing for both.

Incidentally , I've noticed that the cleaner the barrel , the less smoke there is while shooting .

ymmv.

MP