Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plinking In The Backyard . . .

chp5

Plinking in the backyard . . .

My 9 year old son has a Rossi “matched pair” – a single shot .22LR and .410 combo (you switch out the barrels). This is a tiny long arm that’s tons of fun to shoot.

For comparison, I put the Rossi next to my son’s play coach gun. The Rossi's on top :D

Rossi22.JPG

When I shoot Aguila .22 Colibri’s out of the .22 barrel, it’s quieter than a BB gun. Today I took a little steel ground hog and stuck it in the ground about 25 yard out my basement door.

Here’s the ground hog:

groundhog1.JPG

Here’s what it looks like at 25 yards (the camera makes it look farther away for some reason). It's to the left of and behind the trampoline, along that ridge - the little white bump.

groundhog2.JPG

I shot offhand while standing in the door of the basement. The best 10 shot string gave me 4 hits, with most 10 shot strings giving me 2-3 hits. It’s hard to hit to say the least! I think I need to thin the front sight a little.

I shot about 100 rounds while taking a break from working in the home office. It’s just good clean fun.

It would be awesome to shoot in backyard!

I must be part redneck'er sump'm(not implying you are), but I pretty sure I could waste an entire day (or 5) doing that. :)

....I do have a pellet gun with mini-ipsc targets. Does that count?

It would be awesome to shoot in backyard!

I must be part redneck'er sump'm(not implying you are), but I pretty sure I could waste an entire day (or 5) doing that. :) 

....I do have a pellet gun with mini-ipsc targets. Does that count?

Well, I can only shoot .22 Colibris (VERY light .22 lr loads), pellet guns, BB guns or airsoft. The Colibris are SO light that I'm actually surprised they made it 25 yards with only about 1 inch of drop. We have big, wooded yards, but I do live in a subdivision. :D

IMO, any shooting is good shooting. It's actually a good excercise in the timeless basics: sight alignment and trigger control.

You can pick up those little swinging groundhogs for less than $20 and you can hear i when you hit. No walking or pasting.

BTW - I AM a redneck!

A friend of mine reloads in a basement bedroom. He has a window near his reloading bench. He has a dog house w/ an opening on the front and back right in front of that window. He has a chono rigged up so he can test his loads right after loading them. I wish i could do somthing likt that. Hmm, but i live in the city, no luck.

I have been known to cover the floor with brass, in my small dining room off the kitchen in the winter time, from shooting out the two windows.I have metal targets all around .

I have been known to cover the floor with brass, in my small dining room off the kitchen in the winter time, from shooting out the two windows.I have metal targets all around .

Heck, that is just dwt's back yard. You ought to see his side yard. :)

(Dale, how come we never grabbed a picture of that?)