Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stack Mags in Kimber Frame

diver60540

I've had a 9 mm Kimber for a long time and used Metalform and Megar Mags in it. I recently picked up  a Trojan in 9 that came with Dawson Comp mags. They won't seat in the Kimber frame. I tried them in 40 and 45 Kimbers. Same thing. The mag catch won't engage the notch in the tube. I put a different base pad on one to make sure the pad wasn't holding the notch away from the catch. No joy. Same result. No engagement. Tripp and Wilson mags seat and engage in both frames (Kimber and STI). The Metalform/Dawsons get very good reviews, and I'm thinking of playing around with minor this season. Just trying to avoid the 10 round 9mm SSTK mad rabbit hole. Any ideas other than stick with major?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, OPENB said:

Try a different mag catch. They will hold the mags at different heights in the frame. 

That was my first thought too. But they cleared

I did, and that solved it. I went through my stash

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, robertg5322 said:

Make sure the offending mags aren't hitting the ejector.

, and found one that worked. Can't be more than a few thousands difference, but I guess there's a line somewhere....  I've been shooting 1911's forever, and this one was another first for me.

7 hours ago, mrasam said:

I've seen mags not relieved enough near where they interact with the slide release (some dremel grinding fixed the problem).

I was reluctant to screw around with the catch slot for fear of messing them up for other guns.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, diver60540 said:

I was reluctant to screw around with the catch slot for fear of messing them up for other guns.

That is certainly possible.  I tend to set up a collection of mags for a particular gun and don't swap them around.  Would depend on what you need.

On 2/10/2017 at 8:55 PM, robertg5322 said:

Now run some dummy rounds through it and make sure it still feeds reliably because you've probably lowered the mag in the gun with the different mag catch. 9mm shouldn't have any problems with a slightly lower mag catch, but you never know...

That was the first thing I did. 1st, full mags will latch into place and not dislodge. 2nd they hand cycle. Next got to range and shoot all 12, because steps 1and 2 while comforting don't really mean they'll actually work. 

I was just glad the mystery seems to have been solved

10 hours ago, mrasam said:

That is certainly possible.  I tend to set up a collection of mags for a particular gun and don't swap them around.  Would depend on what you need.

The Trojan came with 12 mags that work in it, but wouldn't latch into the Kimber frame. I didn't want to make them not work in both guns or buy  another set. Luckily an old Ed Brown catch seems to work. 

4 hours ago, diver60540 said:

The Trojan came with 12 mags that work in it, but wouldn't latch into the Kimber frame. I didn't want to make them not work in both guns or buy  another set. Luckily an old Ed Brown catch seems to work. 

And because you (apparently, you'll confirm with test-firing) fixed the issue, you now have a bunch of magazines that will work in all of your guns. 

Which is always nice. Nothing worse than having a gun that is finicky, except maybe a gun that doesn't work at all. Or a gun that breaks when you need it most. Or a gun that blows up in your face. Ok, so there are plenty of things in life worse than a finicky gun, buy you get my point.