Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popular 9mm Handguns?

7b7

I have been looking into 9mm handguns, and am looking for some ideas. What are some of the more popular 9mm handguns being used today in competitions, (both for their accuracy and reliability). I know that the SVI and STI are used in the .40 and .45, but are they the biggies being used with the 9mm also. Thanks for the help.

It depends on what sports you're looking to shoot. If USPSA, you'll want to shoot Production Division. Popular 9mm handguns for that Division are the Glock 17 and 34, SiG P226, CZ75, Springfield XD9, and S&W 5906. These will also be good for IDPA SSP and other "stock gun" events/Divisioins.

If you have a 9mm already, chances are you have practiced with that & should start out with the most familiar 9mm.

However, if you are buying your 1st 9mm, I would suggest a Glock 17 or Glock 34 because these guns allow you to focus on your shooting skills.

How so?

-THey are exceptionally reliable so you will not doubt your equipment.

-They are simple to operate at those critical 1st competitions. Just rack the slide, holster, & concentrate on your stage plan. No de-cocking or hammer lowering to worry about at your very 1st match.

-They are easy to accesorize if you feel the need to do so (not much to do in Production gun though) and they retain their value if you want to sell it & buy a different gun.

That being said, I also like the CZ line of guns & if you prefer a steel frame gun in your hand, I think the CZs are very hard to beat. For starting out, I especially like the CZ P-01, and the 75DB (de-cocker) as well as the IMI baby Eagle/Jericho 941. Once you get the hang of things, the 85 Combat is outstanding.

Two other brands that are very popular & succesful are the Sigs & Berettas. I would no count out some of the steel framed S&Ws but be ready to confuse some ROs & have to carry and extra empty mag around everywhere.

I think that some models of the H&K are up to the task and H&K have shown support for us this year by sponsoring several USPSA shooters.

Please do not take offense if you use one of these, but we rarely see the Rugers or Kahrs; Walther/S&W 99 or sigmas in the hands of successful shooters around here. For whatever reason, these guns do not seem to do very well long term.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I

www.shootersparadise.com

• 1 month later...

I'll just throw my 2 cents in here.

I'm shooting a Taurus PT 99. It has an adjustable rear sight, stainless slide, and an alloy frame.

(Okay, you all can stop smirking and laughing now!)

I was too cheap to spring for a Berretta Inox. I'v had the gun for close to ten years now and have never had a major problem with it. Jams are very rare, especially when compared to my Colt 80 series in .45.

I shoot it in USPSA production and IDPA. I first started out with it cocked and locked like my .45, in ESP. But then I shot it in production, and the range officers told me I had to start hammer down. So now I shoot it in IDPA's SSP, with the hammer down also.

Maybe one day I'll get an Inox. Maybe a brigadier model with a dovetailed front sight, so I can swap in a fiber optic. But there are other things ahead of that on the wish list. Maybe a revolver, 625 or a 686. One day.....

Just my 2 cents.

For reliability, nothing beats the SIG (IME). It is a good IDPA choice and an OK IPSC production choice. It's DA trigger is a PITA in the long run for competition. The Glock would be the best pure IPSC/USPSA production choice. Myself, I have both, the SIG for social requirements were reliability is paramount and Glocks for competition where shootability and tweakability mean more and you can tweak in reliability with some care adnd proper feeding.

The Springfield XD may be worth looking at for competition too.

But as I said, nothing beats a SIG for reliability IMHO.

--

Regards,