Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My G17 Open Gun

G17comp

post-5504-1117486058_thumb.jpg

Hello all. This is my first time posting a pic on any forum, so hopefully it works.

After lurking around several forums and drooling over others' Glock open projects, I couldn't resist. I have been shooting USPSA production for about a year, and have absoluteley no open gun experience, so this is just a work in progress. I don't know what electronic sight setup I want yet, so I'll be shooting irons until then.

Ingredients:

Glockmeister magwell

DIY trigger job

Taylor Freelance mag extensions

ISMI 15lb. spring w/ tungsten guide rod from CGR

KKM barrel

Titanium comp of my own creation

I only have about 100 rounds of major ammo through it so far, and it has run great with HS-6 and Sierra 125's at around 170PF. It seems to shoot pretty flat (with no basis for comparison). I was told to put some bleeder holes in the sides of the comp, but what purpose do these serve? Won't this take away from the upward movement of the gas and reduce the effects of the comp? I'm new to all this, so any suggestions from experienced open shooters would be welcome.

Thanks,

Brian F.

That's a nice comp!

I asked BrianH to NOT put side-ports in the comp he made for me because at an indoor range [with steel-lined bay walls] the noise just gets deafening with sideports. That's with 31dB plugs and 29dB muffs...

TJ ports thru the slide and barrel are fine but you will need another .3 or .4gr of powder to make the same power factor.

Thanks Eric,

I haven't quite worked up the courage to mill through a perfectly good glock slide yet. I was waiting to see how this comp performed before I cut into my slide. I'll probably wait on that until I get the opportunity to shoot some other open guns. I don't really have anything to compare mine to right now.

Driver8M3- They are the TF 170mm basepads. I've been loading at an overall length of 1.150 - 1.155 and have experienced no feeding problems at all. They are unmarked post-ban magazines

Bill- I know I need a scope. I just haven't looked through enough different ones to figure out what I want to invest in yet.

Alma- Nice glock. Is that a Carver mount? Do you have any problems with case ejection with the low mounting clearance? That's my concern about the Carver/C-more combo...

Alma- Nice glock. Is that a Carver mount? Do you have any problems with case ejection with the low mounting clearance? That's my concern about the Carver/C-more combo...

Yeah I have had some problems moving from a slide ride to a Carver. I am going to test fire it today to see if I fixed the problem.

So far I lowered my ejection port .1 and I am using a first gen ejector. The first gens are a bit longer and there is more metal there incase you need to shape it any. I have heard of heating up your ejector and hammering it on an anvil to get it longer so that the case ejects earlier.

I will post back if it works ok now, if not I will go to work reshaping the ejector.

Thanks for the update Alma. It will help me in my decision on a dot sight setup. I don't know what is causing your gun to stay out of battery, but maybe the recoil spring is too light? I'm using a #15 ISMI and it has worked great so far with major loads.

Brian