Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp-tac Locking Paddle Holster

glock17w

I am just wondering if the Comp-Tac Locking Paddle Holster is legal or illegal for use in IDPA? I haven't shot IDPA since December 2004 and probably will not get to shoot it until I come home in December 2005. If it is not legal, then does anyone know of any paddle holsters that are legal for use in IDPA? Thanks for your time.

I am just wondering if the Comp-Tac Locking Paddle Holster is legal or illegal for use in IDPA?  I haven't shot IDPA since December 2004 and probably will not get to shoot it until I come home in December 2005.  If it is not legal, then does anyone know of any paddle holsters that are legal for use in IDPA?  Thanks for your time.

Depends on your build, belt and the holster. The pre LBB locking paddle seems to not make the cut for a lot of people. However, you will have to try it on and see how close it is to the criteria on you.

Some people simply heat and modify the holster a tad so it will be legal, or I believe you can send it back to comp-tac for them to do it.

Ted

If you have a previously built locking paddle it might not make it. I still wanted this style after the new rules went into effect and called Greg the owner. He asked about my build and exactly what belt I was using. I am using a Wilderness Instructor's CSM belt and Greg built one for me that has absolutely no light in the belt channel area and is PERFECTLY legal.

I liked the holster so well that I bought one for my wife that is offset some. Bluntly she doesn't compete and I wear that one once in a while for a USPSA match. Really like the chainmail finish as well. Now if I could just shoot as good as I look with the nice gear on :blink:

At a local match, your friends may say it is OK, at a State level match, one SO may say OK but the MD may see something different.

If you make the trip to a National event, you may be DQ'd for too much light.

The only safe holster for all IDPA is either IWB or Pancake. But that may change tomorrow ;)

Regards,

I just bought one and it is a fantastic holster. David at Comp-Tac told me about it might not make the light rule for IDPA and it depended on my build. I took the risk on myself and ordered it anyway. When it came in I tried it out and there was ~1/4" gap for light to pass through. A quick dip in boiling water on the foldover portion of the paddle and a slight squeeze and viola.... No light, legal, and great fit/feel. It is also as solid as a rock and does not move on the belt.

Also I will be more than happy to offer my reccomendation for the folks at Comp-Tac. Thier customer service is outstanding and they WANT to make you a holster that you will be proud of. I emailed my order in and David called me on the weekend to flesh out the details and make me aware of the light issue.

I now own 4 of thier holstes, 2 mag holders, and a flashlight holder.

Delivery time was also great.. I told them I wanted to use it in a match that next weekend and they got it to me in plenty of time.

DISCALIMER:

My only connection to Comp-Tac is as a satisfied customer. I have no financial connection with them (other than buying thier product).

Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to restart a holster rules debate. I was just wondering why you thought the holster rules "may change tomorrow." IDPA has been in existence for coming up on eight years. In that time, the holster rules have changed once, right, between the LGB and the LBB? Unless there was some little change between the LRB and LGB that slipped my attention. I do realize there were changes made between the first draft of the latest Rule Book and the final version, but barring unforeseen circumstances, I don't look for the rules as set forth now to change again for a long, long time.

Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to restart a holster rules debate. I was just wondering why you thought the holster rules "may change tomorrow." IDPA has been in existence for coming up on eight years. In that time, the holster rules have changed once, right, between the LGB and the LBB? Unless there was some little change between the LRB and LGB that slipped my attention. I do realize there were changes made between the first draft of the latest Rule Book and the final version, but barring unforeseen circumstances, I don't look for the rules as set forth now to change again for a long, long time.

Briefly so I don't get moderated, the SNRB has vague subjective rules regarding holsters that can change at the whim of the person enforcing them.

I am aware of the previous rules as I have been a SO at local, state, and regional matches. What I think a proper holster under the rules is may differ from someone from another club, state, region or planet. I have given my input on this to the powers that be as have many others with no response.

As long as the rules are written by one person, they are subject to change at a moments notice. Anyone thinking they can not is very naive.

I no longer care about IDPA at all and find discussions of anything to do with it fruitless.

I don't know it. Its seems to me a reasonable extrapolation give the previous stability of holster rules, i.e. we made it through seven-plus years and one previous Rule Book change (from LRB to LGB) with no changes to the holster rules at all. If I'm wrong on this one, I'll certainly be the first to admit it.

Since the original question has been long since answered, I'm going to go ahead and lock this one down. If anyone has anything useful to add to the question of whether or not the Comp-Tac locking paddle is legal or not, shoot me a PM and I'll consider reopening it.