Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Handed Shooting and PCC

JRM83

For USPSA   (From the PCC rules addendum)

PCC Appendix A3: All references to “strong hand” and “weak hand” in the current edition of the rule book apply to PCC as follows: Strong Hand will require the PCC to be shouldered on the strong hand side, trigger pulled with the strong hand. Both hands may be on the gun. Weak Hand will require the PCC to be shouldered on the weak side, trigger pulled with the weak hand. Both hands may be on the gun. Course descriptions may never require the carbine to be fired using only one hand. NOTE: This applies to classifier requirements in all instances.

6 minutes ago, open17 said:

For USPSA   (From the PCC rules addendum)

PCC Appendix A3: All references to “strong hand” and “weak hand” in the current edition of the rule book apply to PCC as follows: Strong Hand will require the PCC to be shouldered on the strong hand side, trigger pulled with the strong hand. Both hands may be on the gun. Weak Hand will require the PCC to be shouldered on the weak side, trigger pulled with the weak hand. Both hands may be on the gun. Course descriptions may never require the carbine to be fired using only one hand. NOTE: This applies to classifier requirements in all instances.

So what about stages where the shooter is required to carry an object from one place to another?  Is the argument that the shooter has the option of setting the object down whenever he takes a shot so one handed shooting is not a "requirement"?  (I think IDPA may have the sane scenario occur?)

Edited by jkrispies

Yep, SHO/WHO shooting is just one of several standard IDPA techniques that PCC shooters will (likely) be allowed to bypass completely or "modify" to suit them. Surrender starts, turn-n-draw, gun in a briefcase, seated at table starts, all are just a few examples of changes that will need to be made to many stages. In some cases, the COF will bear little resemblance to the stage designer's intent when shot with a rifle.

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

So what about stages where the shooter is required to carry an object from one place to another?  Is the argument that the shooter has the option of setting the object down whenever he takes a shot so one handed shooting is not a "requirement"?  (I think IDPA may have the sane scenario occur?)

In a real-life scenario, anything I have is getting dropped if I'm going to my gun.  Why should we play or train any different?

1 hour ago, BillR1 said:

...gun in a briefcase...

PCC is a shining example of how poor a choice a gun in a briefcase really is, now, isn't it?  As for reality, it's unlikely that the average daily-carrier is going to be lugging around a PCC (unless it's Austin during the legislative session, in which case they'll be wearing flag-striped leotards and shouting "mah rahts!", but I digress), so PCC is a "gamer-only" division to start with.

1 hour ago, BillR1 said:

...seated at table starts, all are just a few examples of changes that will need to be made to many stages.

USPSA PCC handles seated table starts just fine.  IDPA will as well.

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

USPSA PCC handles seated table starts just fine.  IDPA will as well.

Very interested to hear how this works... In many  IDPA stages I've shot, you're seated at a table holding a menu or a hand of cards. How would you start that with a rifle if youre holding the prop with both hands seated at a table?

Edited by BillR1

1 hour ago, JRM83 said:

Just a new paradigm for stage designers. After seeing the average shooter shoot WHO, do you really want them to try it with a carbine?

Support hand only shooting is a standard skill in IDPA. It's even tested in the classifier. Unless you want to eliminate entire skill sets, WHO shooting is going to be encountered in stages.

4 hours ago, BillR1 said:

Very interested to hear how this works... In many  IDPA stages I've shot, you're seated at a table holding a menu or a hand of cards. How would you start that with a rifle if youre holding the prop with both hands seated at a table?

With the rifle lying on the table.  https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-33.pdf

"The start position is seated in the chair holding cards, one in each hand being held by the thumb and index finger, elbows on the marks. Your gun will be loaded and holstered. PCC start position is the same, with your loaded carbine on the table, muzzle downrange, safety on and un-propped."

Edited by mreed911

34 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

With the rifle lying on the table.  https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-33.pdf

"The start position is seated in the chair holding cards, one in each hand being held by the thumb and index finger, elbows on the marks. Your gun will be loaded and holstered. PCC start position is the same, with your loaded carbine on the table, muzzle downrange, safety on and un-propped."

"I'm all in!!!  After I move my carbine out of the way..."