Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 9mm skipping a primer

1eyedfatman

I have a problem which has started occurring on my Dillon 650 loading 9mm.  It wasn't a problem before.  But about 2-3 bullets out of maybe 100 don't get a primer inserted.  There is just a hole where powder dribbles out and becomes a pain to stop and cleanup.  Plus I waste a bullet because I usually don't catch it before then.  Now I try to feel for a primer seating, but that is not always easy to feel.  I load with cleaned range brass and Winchester primers.  With all the primers out and no brass, I cranked the arm to look at the wheel that the primers seat in just to see if I see one blocked or debris in one but didn't see anything.  Anybody have any ideas?    

Check a few things.

primer tube seated all the way?

nut on top still tight and screwed down as far as it should be?

how many rounds since you took the entire primer Assy apart and cleaned it? Gets really grimy down there.

Make sure it's advancing fully.

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Check a few things.

primer tube seated all the way?

nut on top still tight and screwed down as far as it should be?

how many rounds since you took the entire primer Assy apart and cleaned it? Gets really grimy down there.

Make sure it's advancing fully.

I'm supposed to clean it? :)  I guess I'll have to try that.

Try a new primer return spring, they wear out. I usually get 20-30k on them before they stop pushing the arm that turns the primer disc back all the way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm at a loss how you're not able to feel the lack of a primer, to be honest. That's the only thing you feel when your handle is stopping on it's  upstroke.

Definitely take the primer system apart and clean and inspect it before you focus on anything else.

Agreed, a missing primer feels like walking off a curb blindfolded