Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem Montana 158 Cmj

Gun Phan

Anyone recently purchase Montana 158 gr CMJ?

I just purchased a brand new case of these and have problem loading them. The bullet is sized .355 instead of .357. I spoke to Monatna and they told me my cases where old and that's why it was not holding the bullet securely (after the crimp, the bullet can be easily pushed in by some or no forces at all). I checked the outside diameter and could only find .356 around the cannelure (crimp groove) of the bullets.

I was doing a last minute loading and switched to 158 Raineir RN and had no problems with these bullets.

I also have purchased brand new 38 Long Colt cases from Starline and I can push these bullet into the cases right out of the box.

Anyone encounter this problem or did I just got a rare bad case of bullets from Montana?

Tony,

MG's are just smaller than copper-jacketed bullets. The brass "springs back" in the forming dies more than copper, resulting in a slightly undersize projectile. Generally I find them to be about 0.0005" undersize. 0.002" is pretty outside the norm. That's so small that you're going to have accuracy and velocity problems.

Verify the dimension using a micrometer (not calipers). If it's still .002 small, I think you need to call Norm or Jolene again and restate your case.

They measured at .355?? GREAT!!!!! - I may have a new 9mm production bullet!! Thanks for the heads up.

How do these shoot in your revolver? (obviously, you will have to test one round at a time or experience sever bullet pull). If they otherwise work, maybe the $15 Lee brand U or Undersized die will allow the cases to grab these bullets.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Thanks for the inputs. I just got a FCD from Lee to give them a try. I really should not being doing this if I can load all my other 38 special bullets without the crimp die.

I have to re evalutate my use of Montana Gold bullets from now on.

I had the same problem with 125 gr montana gold bullets. They measured .356" and would push back into the case. When I called to ask M.G. about the problem they said the problem had to be with my loading press ( Dillon XL 650 ). I switched back to a hard cast lead, problem ended. I might say that I will never buy an other M.G. product, because of their attitude.

Yup, same problem with the same bullet, .357 158gr CMJ. Measured .355 with the caliper AND a high quality mike. They did a run with a wrong sized die, no way around it. I never bothered calling the company as I figured I'd save them for some kind of heavy nine load some day. Won't use their product again though if they're not going to be straight about it.

Finally got time to start reloading for the IRC match.

I find that these bullet will work on my Star Line, Precision Delta, and Federal cases. Do not even waste your time on RP cases. I'm sure there is a logical reason why the bullets do not like RP cases (I don't have the time and patience to look for it now). I can keep them on an 8" plate at 10 yds (that's it, don't try to hit an X, you'll hit all around it).

I have not received an answer from Montana yet. Their 38 special bullets are definitely off my purchase list for now.

I'm sure there is a logical reason why the bullets do not like RP cases (I don't have the time and patience to look for it now).
The R-P cases are considerably thinner. When I loaded my current batch of .357 Mag ammo with .358" 158 grain RNLs, there was no contact (other than the crimp itself) with the R-P cased ammo and the Lee FCD, but there was considerable contact with ammo in Winchester, Federal, Starline, PMC and S&W brass. My ancient Lyman carbide sizer, so old it came in a black cardboard box, sizes all my brass down enough that there aren't any issues with any brass in my guns, but newer ones may not be that tight.