Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No-shoot Behind A Popper

Ron Ankeny

My question is...what if the bullet is tumbling so badly that it hits sideways?  If it doesn't go straight in...there likely won't be an arc, right?  Can we...shouldn't we...then have to dig a bit deeper into all the evidence?

Well, using the existing rules and an overlay, I can only call what I see, which is a "partial bullet diameter". If it's just one raggedy hole, it's kind of hard to tell what went through there. The "evidence" of a bullet hit is a partial bullet diameter.

If we just call all hits bullet hits, what call would you like for that no-shoot with a couple big, raggedy holes in it? I'd prefer to use my overlay to make that call. If that dark house target had been a no-shoot, would you have pulled it? Hmmm?

:)

I'm just saying that steel and paper, when too close together, can cause some scoring issues, which must be dealt with consistently.

Troy

Thanks guys. We used them without incident. Heck, that array was the best performance I had in the whole match.

No problems. The RO's need to pay attention is all.

Yep, we almost had an issue. The RO's got so used to seeing unscathed no-shoots, one of the shooters almost slipped by with two of them. I wasn't there, but I heard the shooter's husband was resetting the steel and he brought the no-shoot penalties to the RO's attention. Good thing he (husband) saw them or he would have been subjected to a bunch of good natured ribbing.

I'm with Flex on this one.  Matches here in Ohio tend to have the no shoots behind the poppers.  The first stage I shot this yr had them I really slowed down not to hit the no shoots.  Today I had a match in another part of the state and they also had no shoots behind poppers.  I'm used to them now.  I might of added .10 to each shot to make sure I hit the popper solid.  I used to add at least a full second to make sure I hit it solid.

Flyin40

Man, that stage was nasty! I decided I might as well use all the ammo on my belt for that stage and made sure I hit every noshoot there was.....zeroed it badly...hehe

I did however learn that you really must adjust a new rear sight when you put one on... :blink:

So I was shooting steel like sh*t at the Silver Buckle this weekend. Just wasn't focusing like I need to. Anyhoo, there were two mini-poppers with no-shoots behind 'em on a stage that pretty much required you to engage everything on the move. No problems shooting those two poppers. I think the no-shoot forces focus, so it's not a bad thing... just wish I had that on all the other steel.

At one match I took a shot at a popper that was placed in front of a no-shoot......

I was just starting to load the Sinterfire frangibles and wasn't clued in on how to crimp them. The bullet was cracked and split into 2 clean .45 caliber projectiles. One dropped the popper and the other left a nice semi-wadcutter type hole in the no shoot (back half of the bullet).

It was teh only one that split that day. I thought there was some interesting irony there.

I just shot another match yesterday that had them. The plates fell forward when hit at this match. I think I'm starting to like them :o. In the last month 2 seperate matches here in Ohio had them.

Flyin40