Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burnout II

John Thompson

In a book I just read "Rifle and Pistol Shooting, the mental Edge" it discused the symptoms of shooting burn out.  One that I never considered but which now seems obvious is having your scores and performance go down even if you don't feel burned out. I never thought of burnout that way.  For me my scores and performance has gone down quite a bit in the last couple of months and I couldn't figure out why( I was for the most part feeling fine) so I just practiced more which in hind sight only made my burnout worse.  I truly love to shoot but for the last couple of weeks the thought of even practicing visualization gives me anxiety.  I'm going to play in a fall softball league and hopefully this spring I'll be excited to shoot like I used to be.  I not going to wait until I get this burned out again to take a break.  I light of the fact we start getting burned out well before we know it maybe we should all take a break for the hell of it now and then.

John,

I think, for a lot of folks, what you said is absolutely true. I'm certain it is for me. My hardest mathes were always at the end of the year, unfortunately around Nationals time. And the last year that I went to the World shoot, after a fairly good performance at the Nationals, I absolutely dreaded going. I had nothing. It showed, I sucked. What always saved me (when sponsored and shooting like crazy), was to take the entire winter off. I wouldn't even touch a pistol until spring.

be

• 2 weeks later...

John and Brian,

I had the same experience. I finally told myself that if it wasn't fun, I needed to step away and come back when I had the desire and need for fun again. I have enough work to do with my occupation, wife, kids, house, etc. I don't need more work, I need some fun. When I came back, a little brushing up with dry firing and I was shooting better than ever. You have to enjoy it.

I know everyone thinks and dreams of being a sponsored pro shooter and I do to. But it is nice to walk away or not go to a match if my mind is not there and not have any consequences from sponsors, especially if they pay for it.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop