Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best setup for 38 super comp ?

zipollini

Just picked up an STI DVC Open in 38 Super and will be loading it for 38 super comp. I don't have any experience with super comp so what is the best setup for loading with a Dillon 650 ?

Brass ?

Bullets ?

Powder ?

Dies ?

Load ?

OAL ?

Etc.

Thanks in advance

Edited by zipollini

The search function is your friend. When I was loading 38 super I liked 3n38.(I still like 3n38 in 9 major) I tried both 124s and 115s but preferred the 115s with the way my gun was set up. Commonly used oal is 1.235. Range/once fired mixed brass and whatever dies. Any good hollow point should be fine. Most swear by precision delta or Montana golds. 

8 hours ago, zipollini said:

Brass ? starline super comp

Bullets ? the 'best' are arguably the hornady action pistol in either 115gn or 124gn. The best balance between price and performance would likely be precision delta or montana hold jacketed hollow points (JHP) again in either 115gn or 124/125gn. I suggest try both weights.

Powder ? 3N38 is THE stuff. also 'good' are N105, HS6, Autocomp and many others. but 3N38 is the one all others are compared to. given powder is basically the cheapest part of the finished round it makes sense to spend a bit extra for the good stuff.

Dies ? I prefer lee. I use  regular lee 4 die set - size/decap, powder (I also use the lee auto drum powder measure on my 650), seat die (back it off so it's not crimping) then factory crimp die for a very light crimp.

Load ? I currently run 9.2gn of 3N38 in starline supercomp brass, federal small pistol (or small rifle) primer, 124gn FMJ or JHP @ 1.235 OAL out of my schumann barrel SVI which has 2 large barrel ports and a 3 chamber comp. makes right on 169 power factor. with a ES of less than 15fps. I shoot IPSC rules which has open major at 160pf. if you shoot USPSA you may want a larger safety margin.

OAL ? 1.235 - anywhere from 1.230 to 1.250 is in the range. it varies depending on the bullet profile and your chamber length and a bunch of other variables like feeding reliability etc. it needs a bit of experimentation.

Etc. the thing with loads is you can't really just copy someone's load (even if they shoot the same gun) and expect it to be spot on. you really do need to do a bit of experimentation with projies (ie does your gun like 115gn or 124/5gn?) with OAL, with powder charge and type and all the other variables. looking at other peoples loads will get you into a kind of ballpark to know where you're heading but you still need to do some work on it. :)