Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New AR - problems :(

huafist

Ok, so I took my new AR to the range today to set the gas block and break in the barrel. Immediately, I ran into a problem: no matter where I set the gas block, the bolt doesn't cycle - AT ALL. Upon further inspection, I can cycle the charging handle one fingered with no round, but once a round is chambered, it takes two hands to cycle. Also, with the BCG out of the gun, the bolt does not slide back & forth freely - it's actually very tough to move, as if it hangs up.

Any ideas? You can find my build thread below:

1 hour ago, Dan Sierpina said:

First thing, lube the hell on the bolt carrier, bolt and gas rings. In the past, I have taken the gas rings to a Scotch Brite wheel to smooth them out. 400 wet / dry paper will do the same thing, just slower.

So, if I clean the BCG and lube it up really good, the bolt seems to move much easier and without catching, even cycling with a round in the chamber.

HOWEVER, the gun still will not cycle, and within a few shots, the bolt becomes difficult to move in the carrier again, as if the gas is filling the chamber with gunk from the gas. It really acts like the gas pressure can't push the bolt back.

Handloads or factory?

I've experienced that some dies don't allow for enough sizing of the brass to chamber and extract easily. My .308 needed .005 removed from the bottom of the die to enable ammo to be easily extracted.

The other thing I would check is that the gas port is not partially covered by the gas block.

Ok, I feel like an idiot.

I think I found the issue. And this is what I get for not going to the internet and downloading the #*@()!#*@(!) instructions for something.

Long story short, I was futzing with the locking screw for the adjustment, NOT the adjustment screw for the gas block. The actual adjustment screw (on the side of the gas block) is hidden by my hand guard. It was only after I took the hand guard off tonight to look at the gas system that I saw the problem. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test until Monday, as my normal range is closed tomorrow.

Edited by huafist

11 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You're NOT a moron if you built your own AR and got it working in two days ...   :bow:

Enjoy it.    :) 

That's an absolute fact!  I am just a hobbyist but I have built several ARs for myself and with friends for their use.  It is a real blast to get them running and then compete with one you built yourself.  Great troubleshooting!