Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Trimmer producing ugly cuts...bad blades?

X2 to the blade being in backwards.

Ive honestly had great luck with the dillon inserts.  ~7k cuts per side converting 300blk brass(.400 cut at a time).  I only wish they had a chip breaker on them as dealing with the long strands gets to be a pain from time to time.

Have you used all three sides of the blade? I just saw the link to the blades you are using. Those coated ones are horrible, dull very quickly. I get about 10K per a side of each Dillon blade before I change. Other than the Dillon ones best replacements I have found are blades that come from McMaster Carr and are a TP-41 General Purpose uncoated C5 carbide insert (#3289A81)

Edited by Boxerglocker

12 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

Have you used all three sides of the blade? I just saw the link to the blades you are using. Those coated ones are horrible, dull very quickly. I get about 10K per a side of each Dillon blade before I change. Other than the Dillon ones best replacements I have found are blades that come from McMaster Carr and are a TP-41 General Purpose uncoated C5 carbide insert (#3289A81)

Yea, I tried the blade on all 3 sides and it was a brand new blade as well.  I'll probably just toss these since I bought new ones.

I actually got an email from McMaster Carr earlier today and they told me to get 3289A86 as a direct replacement for the discontinued 3289A81

On 10/29/2016 at 1:01 AM, ams30gts said:

Yea, I tried the blade on all 3 sides and it was a brand new blade as well.  I'll probably just toss these since I bought new ones.

I actually got an email from McMaster Carr earlier today and they told me to get 3289A86 as a direct replacement for the discontinued 3289A81

Good to know about the replacement P/N. I purchased a box or 10-12 a while back and still haven't gone through 1/2 of them.

8 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

Good to know about the replacement P/N. I purchased a box or 10-12 a while back and still haven't gone through 1/2 of them.

Here is their exact response to my email.

We sell a similar general purpose carbide insert (3289A86) for $8.50 each or $7.22 each when you purchase 10 or more and we can ship them today.

The difference is the ANSI code is now TP-41 (vs. TPGB-2.51E) and the material is now grade C-5 (vs. C-2).