Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metalform 10 Round Fix?

TreblePlink

Yesterday while shooting L10 at Dixon TN, I had a major jam using 10 round .45 metalform mags; these mags came highly recommended from an experienced IPSC shooter - but in my Kimber Gold Match w/mag funnel it got stuck. Early on, I had stoppages from my own failure to seat the mag firmly enough, so I've been hitting them pretty hard recently. The metalform insertion stop is a relatively small stamped protrusion - the camming action of repeated insertion tends to reduce its profile - to the point where I inserted past the stop, wedging it in REALLY well. Several of us spent 10 minutes fussing with it to remove the mag. I'm not sure I can recommend Metalform mags.

So, in an effort to salvage the ones I have, using a tig welder set on 20 amps, reverse polarity, I added a silver solder BLOB to the stop. We'll see how this works.

I'm attaching a photo of the mag fix - if anyone else has seen this problem I'd like to hear about it.

Trebpost-5415-1116287075_thumb.jpg

I have seen someone at NTPS or a local place for I shoot there too, that put a curved metal plate on the front of the mag as a spacer. It went from the mag bottom to where it would hit the front of the grip when inserted. I believe a mag company did or used to do this factory.

Tacblack aka BobbyT

Or better yet, just buy the CMC or Wilson 10 rd mags. I used them with great success during my single stack days. You can ask Tacblack he knows. I have some if you need to borrow or try them out next match, e-mail or PM me and I can bring them.

Treb, I've used Metalform 10-rounders for quite some time, never had anything like the problem you described. If they are fairly new mags, you may want to leave them loaded until the springs relax--that may help with getting the mags properly seated during matches without having to slam them in so hard.... Or maybe there is some sort of incompatibility with your particular gun that makes them hard to get seated. Something's wrong if you gotta jam 'em in that hard.

Not sure about the Wilsons--I know several shooters who have managed to break off the metal stop tabs on the front. I've heard good things about the Chips and the Tripps.

Good luck!

Mike

I have had the same problem with the 10 round Metalforms in several 1911s. They are a great magazine, and I want to continue using them, but need to solve this overinsertion problem. Please keep posting results on your silver solder blob, as I need to do something similar. Ed Brown used to modify these with an oversized stop soldered to the magazine tube, but stopped selling them. Anyone have any other ideas for a permanent fix?