Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for old style powder measure conversion parts?

Abitnutz,

a call to Dillon will get you a pair of return springs.  After you get them on the way (or before), do a search on google for "Dillon powder measure retrograde".  You should end up at Ericwesselman.com .  This gives the complete howto to convert them.  

Thousands perhaps millions of people have used both designs.  Dillon designed the new one for a reason.  Whatever the reason, I am sure it is a good one.

Molson

On 10/4/2016 at 0:43 PM, dillon said:

If you are using the powder measure linkage as designed, the lock-link blocks the powder bar from picking up another charge until the failsafe rod pulls the locking link down and out of the way, which then allows the powder bar to pick up another powder charge. The shellplate has rotated to the next position before this happens. This makes it far less likely to drop  a double charge. Study how your failsafe rod is set up, cycle some cases through and try to recreate what you were doing while watching. See how your adjustments affect the cycle of the powder measure.

However, if you have modified the measure so as to bypass the locking link, then I recommend pulling the ammunition.

This is what was posted by "dillon" in a recent thread concerning someone thinking that they may have loaded a double charge.

Edited by TDA

I get that...but the press I'm doing this to has a couple of things going for it. It's dedicated to loading 45 acp only with Power Pistol, of which a double charge will overflow the case. I actually use powder check die station, I know many folks don't. I don't use the Dillon powder check alarm but I do use an RCBS lockout die. I find that locking up the press a bit more positive. Truth be, I always had fits getting that alarm to work to my liking. I have no desire to blow up a good gun but the action of the 650 is just too abrupt; powder escapes the case and makes a nice mess far too easily. I've smoothed out the shell plate as much as possible with one of those bearings but it's still not enough. I'm hoping that if I do a retrograde on the powder measure it will alleviate the problem.  

Here's the original Eric Wessleman modification. Here's an update to the modification done by a BE forum member. 

I used the shell plate bearing, along with a low mass detent ball, on my 1050 for a while. Now that it's really well broken in, I was able to remove the shell plate bearing and just use the low mass detent ball now.

A good, tight shell plate and a low mass detent ball have solved the problem of powder jumping out of cases on my press. I'm quite certain that there are a few sellers on Ebay that sell a combination reduced force spring and low mass detent ball for the 650. Might want to check it out. And these are much easier solutions to install than a powder measure retrograde, too.

Edited by Phlier

You get the springs from Dillon, they will send you a couple for free. Then you can either cut the shifter leg off the current linkage, or buy a vintage shifter on E Bay. It turns your Dillon from a Harley into a GoldWing, no more shifting linkage noise. Shown is a converted SD and an OEM 550. I have been running my 550 since the mid 80's and it's never, ever missed a powder drop, nor has my SD in the 16 years of running it with the shifter conversion. I do visually inspect the case at the seating station using a small battery powered music light attached to the loader. Bullet setback is much more dangerous than a double charge, depending on the power you are using.

Dillon does not recommend this 

image37348.jpg

image37457.jpg

image37370.jpg

Edited by 9x45

I've got 4 or 5 of the older style, in fact specifically looked for the older style when buying a couple new ones about a year ago.  But my recent 1050 came with the new style of course, so I figured I would give it a try.  To be honest, I don't find it that annoying.  Maybe due to the ratchet noise I'm less attuned to the clunkiness.  I may swap it out for one of my old styles, but so far I'm not hating the new style like I expected to.