Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max Loaded Rounds

38stupid

Sorry for this but this is my first cup.

I am shooting a wide body gun in the match (actually (2) of them). My question

is "how many rounds can I load in my mags". I would like to load enough rounds

to complete each section of the stage with one mag (12 rounds). This way I could

use (4) mags to complete each stage. (I dont have 8 mags yet - NY hi cap mag laws stink)

I have asked several people and gotten mixed responses.

Also, it is my understanding that ALL safeties must operate or you don't compete.

Is this true? (series 80 parts included?)

Sorry for this but this is my first cup. 

I am shooting a wide body gun in the match (actually (2) of them).  My question

is "how many rounds can I load in my mags".  I would like to load enough rounds

to complete each section of the stage with one mag (12 rounds).  This way I could

use (4) mags to complete each stage.  (I dont have 8 mags yet - NY hi cap mag laws stink)

I have asked several people and gotten mixed responses.

Also, it is my understanding that ALL safeties must operate or you don't compete.

Is this true?  (series 80 parts included?)

The Cup is run as a hot range. You load at the 10 yard line and it is your responsibility to reload at the just finished yardline before you are instructed to retreat to the next greater distance. Therfore, you may load whatever you want. You may only "fire" the designated rounds for the string. At the end of the last string (greatest distance) you will be given the unload and show clear. Then given the option to reholster or bag your forearm.

It is my understanding, and this has been beaten to death, that all safety devices as part of the firearm must be working. Specifically grip safeties, and for those of us who stupidly started with a series 80 frame and slide, the firing pin block must be installed and working. ( Yep, my trigger is not quite as good, but it is legal )

Best Wishes and shoot'em down the middle at Columbia!

MJ

38stupid,

There is no limit to the number of rounds in the mag..just the number you shoot. And bring a 100 or so extra with you to each event and have them in your range bag.

At the 2002 'Cup, the pneumatic plate racks had issues. On the 20 yard plates, I shot 5 dead nuts in the middle and but they did not fall. WTF!! Then the RO stopped us to fix the problem with the lock bar.

The RO said I had to have the extra rounds with me..in my bag. The match bulletin said bring extra "to the range" and my wife had them in the stands. After a long discussion, about pulling a sample of the extras for chrono etc, I remembered that I load 8 in the mag and was able scavenge for the rest to shoot the extra string.

Remember, if it can happen..it will...at the 'Cup. Be prepared.

Good luck!

Martin,

Then given the option to reholster or bag your forearm.
Isn't that "artificial support"? :D

The Match Program says to bring at least 100 rds to every event. That's to take care of the problem that Driver ran into. They will take 6 rds from you for the chrono, leaving you with just enough to reshoot if that needs to be done. I usually show up with all my mags loaded and a box of 100 besides that.

Driver is right about different mag lengths too. They called Ken Tapp on just that in '98 on the plates, thinking he was using different length mags on the prone to compensate for different elevations. He just grinned and proceeded to show 'em that all the mags were well up inside the mag well! :D

Alan~^~

What I haven't seen mentioned above is to have #13 in the barrel.  A few strings have adaquate time to clear a misfeed or jam but you have to be quick and safe.

Dan

What? A malfunction at Bianchi. Now that would never happen..... On second thought, bring out that IPSC big stick mag. Good advice Dan, from a guy who has heard all the BC heartbreaks over the years.

MJ

Yep, the extra rounds won't hurt just in case.

I just got the series 80 parts back in both of my guns along with the properly

functioning grip safeties. (Also had to replace the extractors which are series

80 compatiable)

Nothin like screwing with your guns just before the biggest match of the year.

Pucker factor of about 9.25 out of 10.

Bob

Yep, the extra rounds won't hurt just in case.

I just got the series 80 parts back in both of my guns along with the properly

functioning grip safeties.  (Also had to replace the extractors which are series

80 compatiable)

Nothin like screwing with your guns just before the biggest match of the year.

Pucker factor of about 9.25 out of 10. 

Bob

9.25 Pucker Factor at BC is during lunch break. What 'til the beeper sounds. The grip safety will take no less than 30 lbs of pressure to depress it, and the trigger pull will random toggle between 6 ounces and 12 lbs and that is after you finally figure out that "other" safety was still on.

If you use wood grips...squeeze until the sap runs out. If rubber grips...squeeze until the oil runs out. For this reason few, if any use plastic receiver guns. They can't get their mags out after they have crushed the frame. Other than that you'll love it! No better game on the planet, no better group of guys. The top finishers at BC are Champions. They shoot straight and somehow make it through the "mine field" of equipment failures.

Enjoy the Match! No matter what....you'll be back.

MJ