Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Single Stack Barrel Opinions

From looking at the topic on the reliability of the .40 Singlestack post, I have a question.

It looks as if the reliability may be an issue of the feed ramp on the barrel when installed in the pistol. I was planning on having a Caspian race-ready frame built into a L10 gun using .40.

Any suggestions on which barrels would be better than others? I saw in the other .40 post that Benny Hill has used a Shuemann Bushing barrel with good success, what about a bull barrel, and does the ramp cut (wilson/nowlin, or clark/para) make a difference in feed ramp geometry? :blink:

Thanks

Matt

As I understand it, any barrel that works good in a .40 widebody will work good in a .40 SS. Bull or bushing, etc. The problems w/ the STI single stacks come down to how STI chose to then cut the feed ramp when they did the install. As long as your gunsmith doesn't do anything funky, it should be fine.

The different ramp cuts have mostly to do with how the bottom of the ramp and the lower barrel lugs meet the frame, and shouldn't affect the surface that the bullet rides up into the chamber. One of our gunsmith contributors might be able to elaborate on that...