Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo LPA dovetail differences?

PrimaryBruce

Figured I'd ask here as some of you are much more familiar with Tanfoglio's than any of us at the shop are.

Is there some point that they had slightly different LPA dovetails in their slides? I was under the impression that LPA dovetails were a standard thing, but I'm beginning to think I may be incorrect?

I'm bringing this up because we have had a couple customers have fitment issues with their optic mounts we made. The fitment on the slide we had in hand to prototype from was such that the mounts went in about 25% of the way by hand, then had to finish being installed with a punch, which is exactly what we were going for.

While most of the customers who received their mounts had theirs fit exactly like this, a few others had issues with the mounts sliding right into the dovetail with no resistance at all. I know for a fact it isn't the mounts themselves, as every single one was checked to be within +/-.001" on all dovetail dimensions.

One thing that came to mind, which may have absolutely nothing to do with the problem, is that the customers who had loose fitment all had to beat the absolute crap out of their factory sights to get them out. Perhaps Tanfo is slightly deforming the dovetails when they pound the sights in rather than fitting them to the slide? I don't know. I'm at a loss and really trying to get to the bottom of the hit and miss fitment.

Edited by PrimaryBruce