Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering an 8 Shot Hand for N Frames

Alaskan454

I was looking to order a spare hand for a 929 and didn't see 8 shot specific parts for sale at Brownells or Midway.  Do they sell them?  Or do you need to file down the 6 shot part?  The only 8 shot part appears to be for a model 317.  I don't mind fitting a 6 shot part, but figured it would be easier if they already sold an 8 shot version.

Doesn't the 929 use the same hand as the 627/327?  If so, any old N-frame hand will NOT work (at least not without extensive modification).  There is a specific part for the 8-shooters that is properly relieved.

50 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

Any 8 shot N frame hand will work, but not others. A 6 shot N frame hand can be modified to work, if you know what to do.

This was my observation after comparing the two parts, do you know if they sell the 8 shot part already thinned down at the top?

In case anyone is interested Brownell's does not carry them, I talked with CS this morning.  You can order direct from S&W using part number 411760000, $17 and they are in stock.  He said it was specific to the 8 shot N frames.