Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Super 1050 settings for processing 223

I just got my Mark 7 up and running and I must say this thing is freakin awesome.  It does exactly what it is supposed to and does it well.  Ran about 1K through it right now and ran great.  Only issue I still have is brass falling over at station 1 when it gets inserted.  Happens maybe 1 out of 100.

What I have in the toolhead and settings:

1. Brass insertion
  2. Lee Universal Decapping Die
  3. F&FB Swage Rod & Swage Rod Backer
  4. Empty
  5. Empty
  6. 223 Trim Die + 1500 Trimmer (1.456" Headspace @ 1.750")
  7. Empty
  8. Neck Expanding Die

Here are the settings I am running at which seemed to run nicely.  Still tinkering with it to see what is best/efficient.

• 1500 RPH
  • Digital Clutch 4
  • Index Speed 5
  • Bottom Dwell 6

Just a few questions for fellow Mark 7ers.

1. I started with the clutch set at 3, but occasionally it would stop.  Now I am running it at 4.  What do you run yours at?
  2. When I set the machine at 1800 RPH, I needed to set the clutch higher.  How high should I go?

On 9/28/2016 at 4:53 PM, ams30gts said:

Only issue I still have is brass falling over at station 1 when it gets inserted

I haven't installed mine yet, but this is supposed to cure exactly that problem. I only bought one of them, but if it works, I'll be buying them for all of my tool heads, as I'm getting the same problem when I'm running my press at a fairly rapid pace.

I don't have a Mark VII (yet), but I have watched quite a few videos. I believe that the correct answer to question 2 is however high is necessary to prevent the machine from stopping during normal operation. However, you'll still want to intentionally jam it to make sure it''ll still catch a true malfunction.

What version software are you running?  The clutch settings vary depending on the software as they made changes to have the clutch respond differently.

I have to check mine, as I typically do not change my settings but I run mine very low 0-3 maybe.

Do you have the decap and swage sensor?

16 hours ago, ams30gts said:

I just updated it to the most current software last week.  The same day the newest one came out.

No additional sensors right now.  Just the 1050 X model standard.

Personally I wouldn't use the machine with out the decap sensor.  They shouldn't even sell it without it.

8 hours ago, Weber said:

Personally I wouldn't use the machine with out the decap sensor.  They shouldn't even sell it without it.

The problem with the sensor for me is how it works.  It looks if a spent primer falls down the chute.  I bulk process for people on a commercial level and some of the brass doesn't have primers in them.

17 hours ago, ams30gts said:

The problem with the sensor for me is how it works.  It looks if a spent primer falls down the chute.  I bulk process for people on a commercial level and some of the brass doesn't have primers in them.

I process bulk for people as well, and would not own the machine without the sensor.  I did originally and had tons of issues.

If I get a batch that has been deprimmed, I turn the sensor off.

Between the decap senor and the swage sensor, I know that every piece of brass is decapped and swagged properly, and do not have the issue of a ringer advancing to the next station or causing jams, dented brass, or indexing problems.

• 1 year later...