Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Seat And Crimp Dies

azjogol

Greetings all. New guy here from beautiful Goodyear, Arizona.

I was wondering what the general concensus is regarding using seperate seating and crimp dies, versus using the both in one die.

I am loading for my Dan Wesson PM-7. I ask because I have found it to be a little fussy feeding rounds, and want to eliminate any potential problems.

I use the Dillon 550 (LOVE that machine). Since I only have 3 die sets from my old RCBS 4X4 dys, I have that extra space for the die. I've also noticed on some rounds, it seems to very slightly "ripple" the bullet where the case crimps against the bullet. I measured the crimp at between .469 and .470, using a West Coast 200 gn copper RN.

TIA

John

I've heard it said (and I agree with it) that the combo seat/crimp die is the work of the devil.

I teach reloading and some of my students insist on starting on a single stage, and they use a combo die because that what RCBS sells. Setting up that die leads to more frustration and more problems than anything else.

If the person is loading in a caliber that I have, I hand them my 2 die set (seater and Lee FCD). First thing that happens is that the person starts to enjoy the situation because they don't feel like an idiot. 2nd thing is that they usually want to go to some type of progressive or turret because they understand that most if the time involved in a single stage is manipulating each round 4 or 5 times.

Get a Dillon seater and a Lee FCD, it will change your life.

Thanks for the input, TBF and GunGeek.

It really is a bugger getting all set up again after unpacking from our recent move. I must have gone through close to a dozen cases setting up dummy rounds using that blasted combo die.

Next "Monthly Bonus" I get from work, I'll be driving over to the Dillon store.

Azjogol

Always, always, ALWAYS seat and crimp seperately. Even if you're loading on a single-stage press.

Of course, it is a real pain resetting that one die every time you load. Especially if you have the RCBS dies. They have a brass set screw that keeps the outer nut from coming loose (sort of). But that screw would strip out if you loosened/tightened it much. Here's what I would do:

Set the outer nut so it crimps where you want it to. When you want to seat the bullet, use the spacer that comes with the RCBS .357 dies to set the die higher in the press. Set your seating stem and go to town seating all of your bullets. When you are done with that, pull the seating stem out. Remove the die and take off the spacer. Now screw the die back in (without the spacer) and you can crimp everything.

It takes longer seating and crimping in two steps, but it is always worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I seat and crimp seperately on a Dillion 550. I use all Dillion dies EXCEPT the crimp die for that I went to a Lee FCD it crimps and resizes again no feed problems. Roll crimp for revolvers taper for auto. it's a good setup.

• 2 weeks later...