Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match master w/ light primer strikes

Speedsouthshooting

The only change to the gun before the match today was tuning the extractor. Never has this gun had light primer strikes. Today about 2 out of 20 were hitting light. I replaced the firing pin and spring during the match but the problem still exist. I noticed the firing pin stop seemed a bit loose but not sure if that the issue. I have a aftec on order. Thanks

I had light strikes when I switched from WSP to CCI small rifle. So I had to switch back to WSP and since then 0 issues. Also keep in mind to keep the spring and firing pin dry and free of oil or cleaning solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High primers.  Is the ammo reloaded?  Did you change anything on your press if you do? (Check the plate is tight enough)

Check the mainspring housing isn't full of dirt and grit.

If that spring is old, might think about replacing it with a 16 or 17 lb spring.

If you have another gun, can check if the rounds work in that gun without issues.

20 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

High primers.  Is the ammo reloaded?  Did you change anything on your press if you do? (Check the plate is tight enough)

Check the mainspring housing isn't full of dirt and grit.

If that spring is old, might think about replacing it with a 16 or 17 lb spring.

If you have another gun, can check if the rounds work in that gun without issues.

What Trent said.  Extractors got nothing to do with it........

Ok. Before the match Sunday I replaced the extractor form a new sti edge into my open gun. After that "during the match" I started having light primer strikes. When I got home I pulled the slide assembly off and placed a round into the extractor and the hook is machined deeper than the one in the open gun. The cartridge was sitting about 1/16 th away from the breechface. I've ordered a aftec, a extended firing pin and a new firing pin stop. Thanks for the input

Some space behind the round as your picture indicates is ok with the slide unlocked, the space will close when  in battery.  Try the extended F.P. that should solve the issue.  Also, replace the mainspring with a new 17 lb. and a slightly loose firing pin stop should not be a problem.