Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice Needed, Fitting A New Barrel

rdmosley

Novice here. Advice needed. Experienced gunsmiths…..please HELP!!!

I am building an STI Limited gun. I purchased a Nowlin pre-fit barrel for it and have checked tolerances. The Barrel fits very nicely into the slide with almost perfect tolerence on hood width and length (cannot see any light between surfaces). The locking lugs engage about .22 hundreths. The back of the foot engages the slide nicely and touchs the frame with the barrel link installed the way it is supposed to.

When I put the barrel and slide on the frame, it comes within 3/16” of an inch of going into full battery. The Slide and Frame are already fitted and very smooth and tight.

My question is: what is the next step to fit the barrel properly? I think my options are:

1) file a small amount of surface from the barrel locking lugs (am a little unsure which surfaces to file)

2) fit a shorter barrel link

3)remove a small amount of material from the center of the slide stop pin to reduce its diameter about 3 thousandths on an inch. (But I think slide stop and barrel link should be tight to ensure accuracy.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Too much to explain here, buy the Jerry Kurtsinger spelling. Books on how to build a 45. Full of detail pics and shows tools necessary. You can ruin a good barrel fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich, If you only have .022 inch lock up on the upper lugs that is not enough. As Benny stated the lock up should be approx. .045. I find the Nowlin Barrels contact the slide beside the breachface on each side. this is the area to the left and right to either side of the chamber and below the barrel hood. Use black ink to find the areas that come in contact. good luck. JLH

JL,

Thanks for the tip. I went back and adjusted the lockup and am getting just a frog hair under .045. Although the barrel and slide lockup reliably with the recoil master, it is still pretty stiff that last 1/8 inch. Also when the slide is locked back, the barrel does not have nearly as much play and looseness as my other STI. Should this ber a concern?

Rich