Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The phenomenon we call BURNOUT

bonedaddy

Yeah - what BE said.

I'm suffering from burnout  I set a goal, and made it, and am, like now what!  

But... I'm not going away :0  Still here, still love the sport, just need some regroup time (and personal regroup time too - our jobs are in severe jeopardy - company is sliding downhill FAST)

Does that make sense?

Warning: possible controversy ahead...

Everybody who is burning out seem to have a few things in common.

1. They reached a plateau that they worked for very hard.

2. The view from the top is another mountain, and dammit those legs are tired and supplies are low.

3. The effort required for the next plateau exceeds the desire to get there, maybe just temporarily.

I've been there before in other areas of life. I built a custom sport truck that was featured in sport truck magazine's reader's section. But to get the feature article would mean a significantly larger investment in time and money, and I just didn't care that much.

My old band was on the verge of more success when the wind shifted and alternative rock was the order of the day. I could have made a few sonic adjustments, but my heart wasn't in it, plus...I hate alt. rock!

Now, I think my problem with shooting is that I want it all right now. The gun cannot hit what the eyes do not see...

All you Burner-outers will either get the itch back after some rest, or you'll find something else to get addicted to. It's not any fun to make yourself go shooting...and it doesn't make you any less of a person to decide you're happy where you're at...or that you're happier gardening or rock climbing.

I've been at this HARD for 6-months and the disparity between physical preparedness and mental state makes me wanna puke time and time again.

But last night, I shot 900 rds in 2.5 hours, and finished up with "groups" on a 10 inch plate at 65 yards and went 10 for 10 with my .22, and then 10 for 10 with my red dot .22 even farther away. (I was in the trees behind the range at this point, and I HAD to use the dot cause I could not see the sights.)

I grinned all the way home.

SA