Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kineti-Tech Sound Redirecting Muzzle Brake

macgulley

Has anyone used the Kineti-Tech Sound Redirecting Muzzle Brake? I'm interested in how much difference the sound redirector makes. It seems to me that it would negate some (if not all) of the effect of the brake. I read this article (excuse the misspelling of "brake" in the link, I just copied and pasted) but he doesn't really quantify how much the redirector affects the brake's effectiveness. I recently added a brake to my AR and was not prepared for either how much it reduced recoil nor how LOUD it would be! :-)
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kineti-tech-muzzle-break/

I haven't shot one but have thought about the principle

as I understand similar devices were designed for close quarters battle.   It redirects boat away from other team members and to a degree flash suppression...... Maybe using night vision.....     So in this sense I think it's functional and practical

thinking out loud.  The gasses are slowed / redirected a it hits each opening in brake.  Then I outer part redirects gases forward.  (The first parts sounds similar to silencer technology.  ). But I believe since front of device is open. It does not fall in to that category 

I still think there will be some reduction in perceived recoil because gases and speed of gasses are dampened / slowed before they are  redirected but not as efficiently as " open " brake.  

Brakes are loud some more so than others..   And frequently more offensive to those nearby. I recently installed same brake that I have on 18 inch  barrel on  16 inch barrel on new build.   There is noticeable increase in feel of the  "back blast" .  Also this "back blast" is more pronounced in the confines of indoor range.   But that's the give and take we have to accept ..... The flatter shooting the rifle, faster more accurate splits....... the louder and more offensive it is to shooter and more so people around shooter...    

The good news is after sometime training with it, along with double set of ear protection.  Most get used to the "back blast"

I have one on a 10.5" barreled AR15 pistol (.223).

I think it works.  We fired them at the range several times.  The range/tables are under an overhead cover, which is supposed to make guns "louder".

We couldn't see that it was any worse than a short barreled magnum revolver.  The folks a few tables down from us said they could tell it was loud, but not objectionably loud.

I have not fired it with the outside "tube" unscrewed from the compensator part that actually screws to the barrel.

I have been beside it, but not in front of it when it was fired and it doesn't seem overly loud to me.

If you've fired a 2&3/4" .357 or a 4" .44 magnum you know the concussion you feel in your throat and sinuses.  I don't get that from the 10.5" with that kinetics unit on it.

I have a Noveske Pig on the 8.5" barreled AR15 (pistols, these are pistols if I didn't mention it before) and can't tell the difference.