Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front site focus prescription shooting glasses

1eyedfatman

I wear bi-focal glasses.  I use them more for distance and take them off when I'm sitting at my desk in front of the computer.  I typing this now with no glasses on.  I wear these glasses when I shoot indoor matches and I shoot prescription sunglasses when shooting outdoors (non-bifocal and for distance).  The problem either either glasses is that the front sight is not in focus.  I used Dawson red fiber completion sites on my Glock 34.  I do have a pair of computer glasses which I never use which make my front site very clear, but I can't use those for shooting because it slightly blurs my distance sight.  I am cross-eye dominant so I shoot right hand but close my right eye and shoot left eye open.  My level is IDPA Expert and USPSA Prod B.

I have an appointment this Wednesday for an eye exam and I'm going to ask the doctor if they can make me a par of glasses where the top half of my left lens makes my front site in focus and the lower par of the left lens and the entire right lens is focused for distance.  I'm thinking of using Oakley frames and having the lenses grow dark outside.  Has anybody else tried this and does it work out or does the one progressive lens throw the eyes off?

I'm in the same boat.....I'm on my second pair of Rudy prescription glasses. They are reverse bifocals. They are a trade off.....hard to use with a rifle.....but works great with my 2011.... Front sight crystal clear.....old eyes SUCK !!!

Good Luck.....

I too wear progressive bifocals.  However, for my shooting glasses and my Rudy inserts, I have the right/dominant eye Rx to be where the front sight is, and left Rx to be for distance.  No need for bifocals or reverse bifocals for range work, IMHO.  This setup works perfect for me.