Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulged 45acp Brass

oteroman

Running a Lee U-Die for sizing in a 1050.

Just dropping powder no belling.

I removed the powder check and installed a Lyman M-die.

Loading Xtreme 230 RN at 1.240 OAL

out of 100 rounds i get maybe 2 loaded rounds that fail Wilson case gage and the issue is a bulge in the middle of the brass usually. .473-.474"

I assume this is Glock'ed brass??

The issue is not with any one headstamp.

Is the only fix to use a Redding or Lee pushthrough sizer??

Are you crimping and seating with the same die? Or in separate dies? My bet is same die, and the crimp is buckling the case.

I'm also running the EGW-U die, for a couple of years now, with no issues. The undersize die should take care of any bulge from previously fired cases. I've never seen the "glock bulge" in 45ACP.

Edited by GregJ

Nice idea but not possible.

I am reloading range pickup.

I suspect the issue is from an unsupported chamber. I will put up with it versus going with a the EGW U-Die which is supposed to be tighter than the factory Lee U-Die. I shootfew 46acp.

Are your bullets starting crooked in the seating process or do you place them very close to perfectly centered and vertical?

I used to have this problem on about 8 out of 125 rounds using mixed range brass. I know the problem is not there after resizing and seating primers because I gage them all at that point and store them for later loading.

In my case, it seems to be a case of the bullet not being perfectly vertical. When I take the time to have the bullet as perfectly aligned as possible immediately before it goes into the seating die (both Dillon and RCBS), the failure rate goes down to maybe 1 in 125.

NOTE: Also using a Lyman M Die (minimum bell) and 200 grain Xtreme bullets. I have seen the same issue with 230 Extreme and Zero 230.

Iuse a dillon 1050,with no swaeging, and no belling in the powder drop, lyman mdie after powder and using ectreme plated 230 RN. My bullets seat as close to perfect as u can get with good neck tension. Thanks