Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting SSI Scale grips

LeviSS

I got a pair of the new Scale 2.0 grips to replace my original scales that are on there now.

My original pair went on no problem.

This pair doesn't line up right with the screw holes on my SP-01. It looks like the holes need to be opened up towards the center of the grips. The website says they may need fitted.

I emailed the company Saturday, but got no response, which is disheartening.

Has anyone had to fit these before? How did you do it?

Edited by LeviSS

No. The panels fit where the should, but the screw holes don't line up.

From the website:

"Install notes: Scale grips are produced for a very tight fit. Clean your frame of any carbon or thread locker build up. Primarily check that the angled face that locates the front of the grip is clean. When installing the screw, press the grip forward to ensure screw clearance to the frame. Insert your screws and check that it will thread in. Do not proceed if the screw isn't a perfect 90 degree angle. Only when the screw goes in perfectly straight should you proceed with the screw installation. Please do not cross thread your frame or over tighten the screws. FYI.... due to manufacturing processes, frames may have the fastener locations in different spots left vs right. If you are not comfortable slotting the Scale grip screw hole to alow the screw to go in perfectly straight, seek the assistance of a qualified gunsmith. Check that your screws are tight after and during your next match. Blue thread locker on your grip screw is recommended. No liability is expressed or implied for damage or injury which may result from improper installation or use of this product."

Edited by LeviSS

Use a drill bit a little smaller than the grip screw hole, and put pressure in the direction you need to open it up. Go slowly, and check that the screw goes in at a 90 degree angle before screwing it all the way in. I found a small rubber o ring keeps it snug.

I used a round needle file on the grip holes, from harbor freight .For 1,0 grip. Work slow check and refit often . I did it hand held. Took about ten minutes. But I was very conservative. In my filing I used a headband loupe to see and check what I was doing. On 1.0. There isn't a lot of room approx 1mm to over cut, hence no power tools. The previous owner of grips was direct bolt on hi cz .... Mine not so... I believe the cz grip to be slightly out of spec. And scales are no play at grip holes

Fit the screws by hand without grips to get the feel for 90 degree angle.... Then screw down gently to clean threads... make sure yourself profiling cuts on grips are big enough the fit screws. I don't think there is a hardware store equivalent for screw size

http://t.harborfreight.com/needle-file-set-10-pc-69876.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

http://t.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty I'd give it 3

Edited by biglou13

Thanks. It irritates me that the originals fit, but the new ones don't. They say the gun is the variable, but if that were the case, I did think if one set on grips fit the others should too.

There isn't much material in that spot to begin with, so I'm kinda nervous to remove much. One side needs a decent amount of the grip relieved.

Yeah I hear you. I chatted with peeps that make it. They said it would put extra metal where other won't need it. Personally I think and extra mm or 2 Wouldn't be a problem in design or weight Like mine also one side needed a considerable ammount taken off. Maybe if enough people place feed back they will add some material to that area. Another thought was Adjust bit of profile where grip fits in frame but that's a whole lot more engineering involved.

Thing is some people guns it's a direct fit. I think some had too much Czech beer the night before drilling and taping mine...... That or a jig at factory is a bit off.

I get some pressure on 3,4 finger tips but I like the input in addition to improvment of overall grip.

I really like the way they feel. And they are now rock solid mounted with out o ring.

Let me know if u need any more Help on reprofiling

Hi gang.. did a little searching and found this thread. I have to say.. making a grip that fits all year models of the CZ has been very tough... I also feel that doing a little fit work ensures you have a set of grips that will never rock or rotate on you during a match. I do hear your concerns and honestly am very hesitant to moving that hole inward as a running change. With the current amount of grips sold.. I have only had this complaint with about 5% of sales and have personally witnessed the inconsistency of the frames. I'm not trying to avoid the current situation, just sharing that we have moved the location 0.010 to make it tighter on loose guns. That move doesn't help your current situation...just made it worse on later batches of grips. See, it's a tough call. On a side note... we have contracted a US company to make NICE fasteners. Should have them available in 3 weeks.