Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POLYMER 80 GRIP FRAMES

bowenbuilt

Tagging this.

The grip frame is very interesting to me. I like the revised grip angle and the built in magwell, although, the built in magwell is kind of a double edged sword if you're looking to use the frame for limited. You lose out on the ability to mount a super heavy magwell to add weight to the frame.

I think I am going to do one just out of curiosity. I have several 17L/24 slides already set up and need an extra frame for one. I have an extra SJC frame weight that needs a home so, what the hell. It's cheap enough...

I did not buy a parts kit. I used what I had in the parts drawer. Some of the parts were removed for upgrades and some extra parts I always keep on hand. You need the standard G3 frame parts and I don't think there would be more than $80.00 worth of parts if you bought them all new. It comes with the locking block. The most expensive part you need is a trigger bar and the ejector housing. Who doesn't have some of those laying around?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, bigtimelarry said:

Whats the reason to get one ? Is it just to change the Grip angle or is something else beneficial ?

Different grip angle, built in mag well, the slide is fitted to the frame, no serial number, no FFL required, great trigger since there is no downward movement of the slide when the trigger is pulled, relieved under the trigger guard, locking block is bolted and pinned into place, built in extended beaver tail, multi position picatinny rail, no finger grooves and ugly as hell.

The one problem I ran into while fitting all the parts that I did not expect and was not mentioned in any of the instructions was the 2 screws that hold the front of the locking block. Mine protruded into the recoil spring channel when tightened. If you don't cut off the protruding screws and then file them flush with the inside of the channel they will interfere with the recoil spring and not let the slide come back to full battery. Other than this one issue everything went together without a hitch.

Edited by bowenbuilt
Added information