Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken trigger return spring? Here's the answer....

bowenbuilt

I would think it would be as simple as put in one spring and try it. Not light enough? Clip off the hook on one end and peel out the next hook, try it, repeat step one until you get it just like you want it. Count the number of coils you clip off incase you go one too many, place the other spring in and repeat step one..............

I'm not sure if you are serious, not important, cgw will likely come up with springs that work well.

I could not be more serious. If you don't like the return of a single spring then you can easily take off a single turn at a time until you get exactly what you want. What could be more simple. It's exactly what we do with coiled springs all the time, nothing complicated, no rocket science just modify the cheap little springs until you are happy with how it feels and works. I am sure there will be a lot of people buying longer springs and tuning them until they get the perfect ratio to what they want, the best part it is cheap and easy to get to without having to disassemble the gun to swap out the springs. That is really all there is to it.

Edited by bowenbuilt

No, he's looking at it as if you can trim the spring, then just bend out the last coil to create a new loop for the pin to go through.

That will likely work in the short term, but I think the new loop you created will be prone to breaking off, because you added stress to the material to bend it out.

No, he's looking at it as if you can trim the spring, then just bend out the last coil to create a new loop for the pin to go through.

That will likely work in the short term, but I think the new loop you created will be prone to breaking off, because you added stress to the material to bend it out.

Compression application (slide) - trim spring = less compression because spring is shorter but compressed distance is constant

Tension application (here) - trim spring = more tension because the spring is shorter but the stretched distance is constant.

But besides that I agree that bending spring steel to a new shape at the ends would be difficult and likely not wear well.

An old trick is to put heat to a tension spring to reduce the spring in the steel, or overstretch it just a wee bit, but I think all this is moot because cgw will find something that works aok.

Compression application (slide) - trim spring = less compression because spring is shorter but compressed distance is constant

Tension application (here) - trim spring = more tension because the spring is shorter but the stretched distance is constant.

But besides that I agree that bending spring steel to a new shape at the ends would be difficult and likely not wear well.

An old trick is to put heat to a tension spring to reduce the spring in the steel, or overstretch it just a wee bit, but I think all this is moot because cgw will find something that works aok.

You're correct, of course. I misread his post as working the other way, from an almost relaxed spring. Trim it until you have just enough return tension to suit you.

The whole point of my post is that with coil springs you can make the trigger as light or a hard as you want. You can find the identical springs from a supplier and make the trigger return to suit you no matter what you are looking for. You can peel the last 5 or 6 coils open and trim it to whatever your finger desires or go with a longer spring and customize to your fingers are sore. That is all i was trying to say. i am sure that the 2 that comes with the kit will satisfy most people but if not you have a lot of room for change unlike the 2 choices we presently have now.