Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-viz Front Sight On A Iron Sighted Ar

alma

Hi all,

While getting my butt kicked in a 3-gun match yesterday, it occurred to me that I am really having a hard time picking up my front sight and keeping while shooting. More than once I found myself trying to aim off of sight protectors rather than the front sight.

I use Dawson sights on my pistol and I love them. I think that if I had a nice flashy high-vis style front sight on my AR it would help.

Anyone tried these?

There is the Firesight:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/image_70229.htm

and the Sightlink:

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mv.../CTGY/SIGHTLINK

I am leaning toward the Sightlink because I am running a .05 and they have that size.

Sitle link .05 is what I'm running. IT is cheaper at brownells. The only bad thing is the site black rubs off. More of a paint than a bluing. So I got out my trusting Sharpie after I had it sighted in. It does help you find the sight faster.

I use a JP close range iron sight mounted on my handguard. I picked up a AR fiber optic front sight from Brownells and replaced the plastic front sight post that comes with the JP sight. The FO front sight post rocks. It is really fast to pick up and easy to shoot.

Nick-

I had trouble with the MSP+ Sightlink sight getting it to adjust down low enough in my JP Tactical sight, to Zero..... shot pretty low.... the MSP sight is taller overall than a stock, when fully seated . I just ordered a Hi-viz, will try that....

Sitle link .05 is what I'm running. IT is cheaper at brownells. The only bad thing is the site black rubs off. More of a paint than a bluing. So I got out my trusting Sharpie after I had it sighted in.  It does help you find the sight faster.

Thanks cking. I will get have to get one of these. Is the .05 the one to go with?

Anyone have any problems with dot flare in the bright sun or anything when going for those far shots?

Also, does anyone use the JP sight with a limited setup?

Thanks all!

I ordered all three sizes from brownells then picked the one I liked the best. Which turned out to be the .05.

Someone had mentioned getting it low enough. I had a little trouble fitting

The site link pin was a little fatter, so I cleaned up the hole in sight and polished up the site link pin until it would go the full travel without binding. Then I had no trouble with zeroing. Then I filled the hole with grease and stuck the pin and spring in.

IT doesn't flare for me in bright sun. But I'm in the over 50 group and have moved on to the bifocal stage. I'm a lefty so my left lense is focused at the front site distance. I can see fuzz again that clings to sights. The right eye is focus at infinity and I now shoot both eyes open. Takes the brain a little while to adjust.

So maybe younger eyes might prefer a different size. the smallest size to me didn't have enough of a glow to bother with.

With the Sitelink it works fine in my normal AR - but the big hole (not the threaded part) in my JP sight wasn't cut as deep, the sight physically bottomed out (not just the screw part, but the bottom shoulder of the round sight base) - maybe it was just the zero on my rifle, it could work on yours. But I needed a different sight.

I ordered all three sizes from brownells then picked the one I liked the best. Which turned out to be the .05.

So maybe younger eyes might prefer a different size. the smallest size to me didn't have enough of a glow to bother with.

Isn't the smallest size the .05? I think the sizes are .05, .06, and .07

Oh my... I just got confused.

Those of you that have used the Sightlink, If I were to put this on a Pistol Caliber Carbine, which sight would you recommend??

A long shot would be anything over 40 yards. I was thinking the largest diameter model as to have the biggest and most easy to acquire dot, but possibly the medium one would be best. What do you think?