Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 grain plated flat point in 38 Special

hebyta

Hello folks,

I checked through the forum but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here goes...

I'm looking for some recipes for 38 special for a 125 grain copper plated (like Berry's) flat point bullet using Unique, Bullseye, or W231. This would be for plinking for my wife's ~3" Rossi, so something light and fun to shoot would be great.

Any questions, please fire away.

Thanks!

All three of those powders have published load data for that weight bullet in .38 Special.

Care to share please?

My Lyman 49th has data for 125 gr JHP and 120 gr LRN. My Reloading Manual for .38 Special has plenty of data for 125 gr JHP, and 125 gr JFP for Scot Powders/Vhitavuori, but nothing for Unique/W231/Bullseye.

Winchester's website has data for W231 and a 125 gr LRNFP, but not plated.

My point being is I used the resources I have, looked elsewhere (The High Road, The Firing Line), and wanted to try here. If there is a search function for these forums (didn't see one) I'd be happy to use that too...

Thanks!

Do you have a chronograph?

Go to the Alliant website and find the data for Unique and Bullseye.

It would seem that a 125 grain GDHP is of the same weight and would have a similar profile to what you want to use.

Reading the "WARNING" on the site, it states to not exceed the loads published and to start 10% below the loads shown and work up from there.

It also shows that the loads were established using a 6" barrel, so regardless of what any published data shows, the chances of ever finding published data for the exact projectile and barrel length you are using, as well as the exact conditions you will be shooting in, would be nearly impossible.

If you are new to reloading. it seems awful confusing, but with time you will be able to interpolate the published data into something that will give you good starting points to work up your loads.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I use 158 grain coated RNFP and don't use any of those powders that you list.

I also only shoot 1 7/8" and 4" barrels.

All three of those powders have published load data for that weight bullet in .38 Special.

Winchester's website has data for W231 and a 125 gr LRNFP, but not plated.

Welcome to The Forums ...

If you're looking for a real light load that's easy to shoot, I'd just use WW's data for the W231 with a 125 gr

LRNFP - your load, with a plated bullet should be Very Similar, or slightly slower and safer.

Best to start a little low, and work up slowly with a chrono, though.

What are YOU shooting? Any pistol competitions yet?

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I don't have a chronograph, but have considered picking one up. These loads are for my wife's revolver. We've got some great loads for 158 coated and plated semi wadcutters, and we're trying something new.

I shoot a Glock 21, and had a great time shooting some poly coated 230 grain round noses today. I have a long way to go before I'm ready to compete, but enjoy plinking and hand loading.

I checked out Alliant's website-no data for flat point with the powders I have, but data for Gold Dot HPs for Bullseye and Unique. Between that, some other info on other forums, Winchester's data for a lead flat point, and numbers from loaddata.com, I think I have some to start with.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I load a hard cast 125gn for my 38 special all the time.

I don't know what bullets you have, but Berry's recommends per their website to use hard cast data for their plated bullets. Here's what the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook says for cast 125g flatpoint for 38 in the powders you mentioned.

Bullseye 3.2gr / 763fps --> 4.2gr / 892fps (max)

Unique 4.3gr / 773fps --> 5.3gr / 944fps (max)

231 3.9gr / 733fps --> 4.8gr / 896pfs (max)

These are out of a 5.5 inch barrel

Edited by jschweg

Hi. I load rounds for my wife to shoot @ Win 231 4.0 to 4.3 gr. 125 gr plated or 125 gr lead RN. Soft shooting. I have found that if you go down too low in charge you will have some ignition issues occasionally. Use the lead bullet loads with the plated and you will be fine. Great to get the Mrs out there! Good job on you!

I haven't used any of those powders but I like faster powders in 38 Special like Titegroup and Clays.

With the powders you listed I would try Bullseye, 231, and Unique in that order. I bet you can find some nice shooting loads with Bullseye.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=1

Edited by ruleyoutoo1911

• 3 years later...