Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jacketed 180 .40 Recipe

carinab

I searched the posts and did not find a recipe for TG or UC that lists the amount of the charge and the fps with barrel length. With my 5" I know I've gotten about 20fps per tenth of a grain with Universal clays...but that was with moly-coated. Now I got another inch and copper jacketed hollow points and flat points. I'd experiment myself but I'm up against the clock (see the flame war for today for reasons) and I just got my bullets. What starting load could I try? PM me if you don't want to post an exact charge. I promise I won't sue if I blow up the gun! :P

I used to use UC several years ago.... sorry, don't recall my load data.

In my old 6" inch my best load was 4.9 gr VV N320, 180 gr FMJ MG, 1.180 oal. made about 930FPS...... I could drop the load to 4.4 grains for moly lead.

With N320 I could use 2 to 3 tenths less powder on my 6" loads, than 5" loads.

I searched the posts and did not find a recipe for TG or UC that lists the amount of the charge and the fps with barrel length.  With my 5" I know I've gotten about 20fps per tenth of a grain with Universal clays...but that was with moly-coated.  Now I got another inch and copper jacketed hollow points and flat points.  I'd experiment myself but I'm up against the clock (see the flame war for today for reasons) and I just got my bullets.  What starting load could I try?  PM me if you don't want to post an exact charge.  I promise I won't sue if I blow up the gun!  :P

When I was using TG, 180 gr FMJ at 1.2 oal with 4.6 to 4.7 of titegroup ran about 950 fps from a 5" P16 Para. Good luck with your loading.

Ian Wicke

Your 5" load will probably work just fine - although it may be a little hot in the 6". From the reading I've done here on the forum, sounds like you might gain 6-8PF or so (40-50 fps) with the longer barrel. Obviously, that's a generalization, but... Drop a couple tenths off for the change from moly to copper, and you'll probably be good. If you're just looking for a practice load, drop half a grain off or more - should run the gun, anyhow, until you can chrono it to make sure...

Seems like there's a lot of ballpark 6" loads on here. I don't know if you've researched much or not, but that might give a better number than my total shot in the dark above :)

Well, the most I've come across were for 5" and after reviewing Jeff Maas' site, I tried 5.0 grains to start with for UC...Way hot 1090 with the jhp, 1110 w/ the fp. Going to back it down for sure. Haven't tried the TG yet.

Well, the most I've come across were for 5" and after reviewing Jeff Maas' site, I tried 5.0 grains to start with for UC...Way hot 1090  with the jhp, 1110 w/ the fp.  Going to back it down for sure.  Haven't tried the TG yet.

200PF baby. Nice :) Yeah, I'd back off that a taste. Of course, you *will* take steel down with authority with that load :lol: :lol:

Not quite 6" but out of my G35 4.2 TG with 180 Zero makes major(barely). Out of my P16 it takes 4.6 TG with same bullet to make major. Glock load is 1.12" OAL, Para is 1.18" OAL. TXAG