Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty brass ejecting 2 o'clock

BOOM

Where does your rifle ejects its empty brass. There's some chart that claims empty brass should be throwing out between 3 and 5 o'clock. Anything different is a over gassed AR. Is this really something to be concerned about, if the rifle runs fine?

I wouldn't say it's something you should be concerned about, but all my rifles shot way softer when I tuned the GB to minimum gas. Just so happens that always coincides with my brass ejecting to 4 o'clock instead of 1-2.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ejection pattern depends MUCH more on the ejector spring than the amount of gas. Just something I have noticed over the years.

In my case, the problem was 2 fold. The bolt was hitting the brass on exit and pushing it out at 1:00 o'clock. Cranking down the gas brought it back to the 3:00 o'clock ejection position. A new recoil spring may be on order if the buffer is hitting the back of the stock and causing the bolt bounce off the back of the tube, ( another part of my issues). A new c/s spring will have an effect on the dwell time of the bolt after ignition allowing the round to get further down the barrel, reducing the gas pressure a tad and effecting the ejection of the case. The adjustable gas block will allow fine tuning of this action to make that 2nd shot quicker for the game we play. Another variable is the size of the gas port in the barrel. Mine was on the larger size making the adjustable gas block a must. Mine went from watching the dot go all over the place to staying on target. And their is also powder charge and burn rate thing.................. It just don't end.

• 3 weeks later...

Update; replacing a Ejector spring.1st) Buy the tools for this especial the clamp to release the tension on the ejector pin, 2nd) tapping in a new retaining pin is tough. " Learned" If ain't broke don't fix it :roflol: just keep shooting. No empty brass improvement