Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troubles with new rifle build- Seekins adk gas block, jp silent captur

mobrien

So im having some issues with a new ar I just put together that I plan on using for 3 gun this summer. The barrel is a criterion 18" hybrid, with a seekins precision adjustable gas block with a rifle length gas system. I got out today for a few minutes to try to get the gas block dialed in but didn't have much luck. Does anyone use the seekins block and if so how far open do you run it?

I also have the jp silent capture buffer and was running the black spring. ive since put the white spring in and will try that tomorrow.

I tried running some American eagle ammo with no luck. the last 2 rounds were a double fire which ive never had before but it could be just me trying to get used to the ar gold trigger. The other thing I noticed when I got home was I had a ton of lube on the bolt. I whipped it down good.

My other question- is there any way to reduce the take up slack in the ar gold? Seems like there is a ton of movement before the trigger engages. Don't get me wrong, I love the trigger, but I just don't see the reason for all the slack.

I have the dpms miculek brake on it and am pretty surprised at all the pressure on my face while shooting. I might pick up a few more and mix and match till I find something a little more pleasant to shoot. the recoil is reduced to almost nothing so I love that however...

thanks !

michael

I had the screw backed out almost all the way and it wasn't holding the bolt open consistently. Sometimes it would catch on the bolt, sometimes the carrier and sometimes it wouldn't luck back at all. 2 times I had a misfire and I'm not sure what happened there. I ejected the round, put it back in and it fired fine

Check your gas block and gas port alignment. Some gas blocks/barrel combos should not have the block flush against the barrel shoulder. Example- I have a Criterion 308 barrel, and I installed the SLR gas block about a business card's thickness away from the shoulder in order to get the gas port holes to line up properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Most adjustable gas blocks are .270 from the edge to center of gas hole. Barrels are all over the place from .270 to .315 call your barrel manufacturer get the set back from shoulder to center of gas port then use feeler gauge from auto store to properly set the gas block offset.

I suspect you have a couple problems compounding, or at least confounding. Not enough gas, or too much for your set up. The lightweight set up can cause bolt bounce and doubles. Too little gas will cause short stroking, and failure to lock back consistently.

Go to a standard carbine buffer to get your gas block tuned. Once you have it tuned, then you could try the JP recoil system.