Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phil Strader At The Columbus Cup

ErikW

Phil, what the hell happened? You had a meltdown.

I ask because I also had a meltdown, with a similar amount of penalties (17), including a zeroed stage (6 penalties). I'm a only second-rate* Master and you're a top GM, but I'm wondering if we had something in common.

For me, I just couldn't see right and couldn't call shots. This is very common for me.

Were you not seeing what you needed? Yanking the trigger? Shying away from hardcover and no-shoots?

You didn't have to contend with Robbie, Todd, Taran, et al.; Estuardo was your only real competition. Did that make you unfocused or complacent?

On the first stage you had a Miss and I heard you say, "That's OK, it's just one of many to come." Was that a self-fulfilling prophecy? Did you feel rushed trying to get yourself out of a hole?

* third-rate status is pending following my awful performance in Costa Rica

Phil is one of the great sports in our sport. He endures much good natured abuse and I believe that an omen of a great champion to be. (All BS aside... This last match he sorta crashed. It happens.) It has happened to everyone reading this forum.

The big game is in August. Hope to see you all there with your best games.

It was also a great pleasure meeting the new people venturing out and knowing most of you are hooked!

If not before -- see y'all in Guayaquil,

Joel

I'd love to hear his answer, but he probably know that thinking or talking about will make it worse.

Funnily enough - I've found just the opposite to be true, but only if done the right way. It helps me a bunch to analyze each stage, and the match as a whole, objectively shortly after finishing. Find the good (there always is, if you look objectively) and the bad, use them to both build confidence (the good) and a list of points to work on (the bad). The best way for me to feel that out, personally, is to tell a couple of other folks about it, and monitor my own talk/language/tone - and just get it off my chest. Many times, I learn that I did a hell of a lot better than I thought :) And, I get a lot of objective input from other folks that care about me and my performance....

Anyhow :) Everyone's different this way....

Have you ever noticed that some days you drive better than other days? Some days you drive worse?

There have been days I've driven down the road and cars are catching me off guard, I'm not as comfortable behind the wheel, maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm pissed.

I drive every day. Most days are normal driving days, but sometimes there is simple fluctuation.

Shooting is no different. There are times when it just doesn't come together. Explanations are sometimes afforded but the reality is that it just wasn't there.

Been there, done that. Phil is a top notch competitor who knows better than all of us that this is an exception match, not a rule match, and while he probably didn't leave with a great feeling I suspect he's spent little time considering what took place. Its an anomoly. They happen, best to move on.

JB