Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling CZ slides

brian45acp

That looks nice. So 2 locator pins in front and the mounting screws are enough to hold it? I know the plates specific for m Docter dot have 4 posts it Keyes up to.

Once my dots arrive I will get a better clue to where the fpb spring will touch underneath the dot. That's the only part I don't understand.

So some of those holes are tapped for screws I assume.

Thanks for the pics. I was scared to send off the slide but that looks nice

Edited by brian45acp

I guess so. I have friends telling me not to mill the slide so I am torn here. I need to get my dots in hand first then I think I will use the Springer Precision mounts I already have for them. Once I run a few matches and know they are good I will send the slides off.

I guess the issue is dots fail but I have the Docter dots coming and they are being bullet proofed by Docter USA whom is Dean Makkos. He says they wont ever break and will literally be bullet proof. My brain doesnt work that way and I envision milling my slides and later finding the dots fail or something else and now I am SOL.

I was going to just buy a dedicated upper but its $500. A new gun is $650 so why bother. I have 3 each of the Sp-01 and 75 Compact because I live in california and you never know when the next gun will be off out stupid list. CZ guys said that uppers are so much money since CZ doesnt want to sell parts they want to sell guns. For the $150 difference I figure you could just have an entire gun for parts, lol.

Edited by brian45acp

I have been shooting my Accu-Shadow with the Deltapoint for 3 years, about 8000 rounds, I am shooting about 900 rounds a month(April-October) and will be over 13,000 by the end of the year. I have changed the battery 2 times. If my dot fails I'm not SOL, I would just get a new one, it's not a big deal. CZC's multi optic cut is the best way to go. it gives you the option to use many different dots. when you use the dovetail mounts the dot sits high above the bore and it is harder to find the dot when you draw. you can overcome this but it takes a lot more(weeks) dry fire practice. When the dot is milled low into the slide the draw index is more like a gun with sights.

Makes sense.

The Docter is supposed to have the battery last 5 years always on. The thing that sucks is the multi cut for Docter doesn't invoice RMR. If for some reason the Docter failed they cover it no questions asked 5 years but if there really was an issue I would likely go RMR. I am sure I would be fine but need to just for for it.

Once my dots arrive I will make the leap

Edited by brian45acp

I guess so. I have friends telling me not to mill the slide so I am torn here. I need to get my dots in hand first then I think I will use the Springer Precision mounts I already have for them. Once I run a few matches and know they are good I will send the slides off.

I guess the issue is dots fail but I have the Docter dots coming and they are being bullet proofed by Docter USA whom is Dean Makkos. He says they wont ever break and will literally be bullet proof. My brain doesnt work that way and I envision milling my slides and later finding the dots fail or something else and now I am SOL.

I was going to just buy a dedicated upper but its $500. A new gun is $650 so why bother. I have 3 each of the Sp-01 and 75 Compact because I live in california and you never know when the next gun will be off out stupid list. CZ guys said that uppers are so much money since CZ doesnt want to sell parts they want to sell guns. For the $150 difference I figure you could just have an entire gun for parts, lol.

Yeah...I'll believe that when they're in the 20k+ round area and none are breaking...

Makes sense.

The Docter is supposed to have the battery last 5 years always on. The thing that sucks is the multi cut for Docter doesn't invoice RMR. If for some reason the Docter failed they cover it no questions asked 5 years but if there really was an issue I would likely go RMR. I am sure I would be fine but need to just for for it.

Once my dots arrive I will make the leap

RMR's fail as often as the rest of the popular reflex dots out there do. I still can't figure out the extreme popularity of RMR's.

I figured as much. When I did my research asking old school shooters are the match none suggest RMR yet it seems to be the "thing" likely because of Suarez and the stupid co witness stuff all over the net.

The Docter is supposed to be the ONE. Dean from Docter USA says they last a long time. I asked about them on the Open Gun forum and seems people have them slide mounted since early 2000's. This is why I dont think I am going to mill the slide right off the bat. I already paid for the mounts so I might as well use them and see how this goes before cutting on my slides. I can deal with a learning experience gone bad on a dot purchase but if the slides are cut that would suck worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one more thing to consider. Those of you with a mount or milled setup how do you clear malfunctions? Is a mount or milled stronger then the other to allow for holding the dot for racking the slide during a malfunction? Looking at the slide racker CZC mount I can see an advantage to having those wings for something to hold on to other then the dot. On the other hand they sure look like they can get in the way especially for a carry gun. I am not sold on the idea for a ccw gun just yet but if I decide to use a dot on my ccw gun I want the strongest setup. I just am not sure if holding the dot is a bad thing or not for emergency racking the slide.

I shot my sp-01 with the springer mount at yesterdays match and really had fun with the dot. It will take a few matches to practice with it but I love how accurate you can be. It was especially great for the swinger target.

Edited by brian45acp