Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

omnia1911

In USPSA Level II (Sectional and State) matches it is permissible in the stage briefing to prohibit a shooter from returning to a prior location to engage targets. There is a per shot penalty for doing so. Are you OK with this?

In a related note, with what certainty can you tell that a shooter has changed locations? On step, two steps? It used to be after firing a shot. That was a pretty clear demarcation line. Also, back then we used shooting boxes more liberally. That was a clear demarcation too.

Location: A geographical place within a course of fire (IPSC definition).

Why wouldn't anyone be okay with this? I've shot at a number of ranges that had to limit movement due to the configuration of their bays.

If you're going to write it up that they can not return, then decided where the point of no return is in relation to your course and put that CLEARLY in your stage briefing!

If you must, then use two or more free-fire zones. Make them so large as not to be confused with a box, but then simply stipulate that once you have entered the second (or third) FFZ, you cannot reenter a previous zone.

Not great, but simple

Jim

If you must, then use two or more free-fire zones. Make them so large as not to be confused with a box, but then simply stipulate that once you have entered the second (or third) FFZ, you cannot reenter a previous zone.

Not great, but simple

Jim

A box is still a box, whether it is 3'X3' or a free fire "zone".

But, the real issue I'm presenting is the freestyle concept, and the apparent discrepancy between 10.2.9 and US1.1.5.1.

Here's the rule:

10.2.9 A competitor who leaves a shooting location may return and

shoot again from the same location provided they do so safely.

However, written stage briefings for Classifiers, Standard

Exercises and Level I & II matches may prohibit such actions, in

which case 1 procedural penalty per shot fired will apply.

Classifiers and Standard exercises are already pretty much taken care of. I've never seen this rule applied ---- but I'm fortunate to be living in an area with great stage designers. I can't quite figure out the need for the rule --- other than for classifiers and standard exercises.......

USPSA decided to overwrite 1.1.5.1 due to having differing match Levels from IPSC. IPSC gives exceptions to the freestyle rule to both Level I and Level II matches, which was carried over to 10.2.9. It looks to me like USPSA didn't catch the Level I and Level II exceptions in 10.2.9 and failed to restrict it to Level I matches, as it did in US1.1.5.1.

...but, I could be wrong.

I'm not the official interpreter for the rules, but IMO there is a conflict between the two, and yes, it probably was an oversight. Given that, I'd say that 10.2.9 only applies to Level 1 matches, classifiers, and standards. It makes a certain amount of sense for classifiers and standards. Like Nik, I haven't seen this rule used in a long time. If it were, even if there were no boxes or free-fire zones, the definition of a shooting location would simply be a unique location you could shoot targets from, and they would not be available from another spot. Short of having to back up in the COF, which I don't have problems with, I don't see a reason for it, but it can be prohibited in the US at level I matches.

Since it seems that freestyle is the name of the game, and that concept is being embraced pretty widely, I don't think this rule will be a real problem.

Troy