Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ

johnbu

I'm a newbee at gun games with this being 2nd season, but willing to help out at the range. Took a Range Safety Officer course last month and have been running squads at the line on our Thursday steel challenge practice matches which are 3-4 stages shot for $5. Low key, lots of fun. But last night an older gentleman with lots of experience, slipped while lowering the hammer reloading between strings. BANG! (Oops) I politely told him he was DQ for an unintentional discharge, unload, show clear and he would have to leave the line.

His initial comment? "But it didn't hit within 6 feet om me". (Seriously, he said that.) Well, he left in a huff as if I pee'd in his wheaties. Now I feel bad for giving him the boot, even though it was the real right thing to do!

I sure hope there are no more of this stuff, because I'm not being paid enough to take the abuse. Come to think of it.... I'm not being paid at all !

Oh, and to top it off, later on a big chunk of lead splashed back and thumped my arm hard enough to bleed. Owww.

Johnbu,

I have been doing this a while (since 1986), as a RO, SO call it what you will. Do not take it personally, you did not DQ the shooter, the shooter DQed himself.

Was the shooter using a wheel gun, because I do not understand why he would lower hammer. Maybe just a brain fart. We all have them buddy.

Just hang tough and let it roll off your back.

Mike

Johnbu,

I have been doing this a while (since 1986), as a RO, SO call it what you will. Do not take it personally, you did not DQ the shooter, the shooter DQed himself.

Was the shooter using a wheel gun, because I do not understand why he would lower hammer. Maybe just a brain fart. We all have them buddy.

Just hang tough and let it roll off your back.

Mike

DA pistol, he needed to decock to draw and have the first shot in DA. Yeah, he was (imo) not dealing with the decocking seriously.

And thanks for the encouraging words!

I sympathize with you. It isn't gratifying to send someone home and I've only met one person who I thought enjoyed doing it.

I hadn't been an SO for two weeks when I had someone pulled a gun out of his bag and carried it to the line unholstered.

Someone else gave you great advice to remember that he earned it...you didn't give it to him.

It's not easy to remember that during the time, but you have to.

Edited by robport